Looking for New boat Suggestions & Experiances

Dturnbull

Cadet
Hi All,

​ I am selling my 2015 Four wins H210, and looking to upgrade in size, power, and Speed! The main reason for selling is because the lake I play (Sebago Lake in Maine) on is just to rough, and it has made boating not as enjoyable as it should be. I am hoping to be in the 25'-28' range but stick with a luxury style bow rider or possible Cuddy. I need to have Selectable exhaust this time as I just love the sound, and would like to see around 60GPS speeds! The boats I am currently considering I listed below. I would like to keep the budget around 100K so I will probably have to buy used! I guess I am looking for ideas and personal experiences with the boats listed below or other recommendations. I will have to sell my boat first which probably wont go until next spring!

​Chris craft Launch 25 or 28
Coablt R5
​Fourwinns H260
​Chap SSX
Sea Ray SLX

Thanks for any input!

​Derek

Last edited:

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I'm not a big boat guy, anything above 22 feet. But I can say I have fished and boated in many 23 to 30 plus footers. We fish the Great Lakes. Of course having a heavier boat will handle big water better than a boat that is lighter but it sure still isn't fun when the waves are 2 meter plus. I find bigger boat guys will venture out in weather that is questionable and the results are the same with a smaller boat in better seas. I think there is a point where uncomfortable is attained with no matter the size when seas are up. There are many 50' foot and much larger boats on the bottom of these lakes. Good luck shopping, I would love a bigger faster, even a louder boat because I'm 1/2 deaf now, we all would me thinks.

Dturnbull

Cadet
I'm not a big boat guy, anything above 22 feet. But I can say I have fished and boated in many 23 to 30 plus footers. We fish the Great Lakes. Of course having a heavier boat will handle big water better than a boat that is lighter but it sure still isn't fun when the waves are 2 meter plus. I find bigger boat guys will venture out in weather that is questionable and the results are the same with a smaller boat in better seas. I think there is a point where uncomfortable is attained with no matter the size when seas are up. There are many 50' foot and much larger boats on the bottom of these lakes. Good luck shopping, I would love a bigger faster, even a louder boat because I'm 1/2 deaf now, we all would me thinks.

​ Thanks for your input. Always wanted to boat on the great lakes! I guess, my grip is it seems to be choppy to the point especially on the bigger part of the lake where you are constantly getting splashed and when you invite people out and your slamming around and getting sprayed constantly you feel guilty. I have been on boats I guess that handle that regular chop on that lake so much better. Don't get me wrong you still know its there but you arent like are we going to capsize lol!

aspeck

Staff member
If this is the case you want something made more specifically for the ocean. My 19 foot dual console fits the bill for a MUCH smoother ride and design that pushes the splash away from the boat. My wife loves the comfort of it. I know I am being very general here, but i would suggest looking for something heavy with a deep V to cut the waves with a 20 - 26 degree dead-rise (preferably with a variable dead-rise to give you a little more stability when sitting still).

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi

I'd say that not many, if any of those boats will do a genuine 60mph on the gps ? I may be corrected, but it takes serious power and prop set up to achieve this.
I'm sure many will say their boat does 60, but looking at the standard fitter water pressure "dream-o-meter" just doesn't really count, haha.
The closest thing I have see to what you may be after, is currently for sale in my local marina (all be it, most likely across the Atlantic from you).
It's a crownline 260 SS. Quite a special boat with an 8.1l HO MPI and Corsa marine exhausts like mine.
This, although a heavy boat and it's near 400hp will apparently do nearly 60mph on a good day.
Have a look, but this is the kind of power you need to get close to your speed ambitions with this size of boat. They are few and far between.
http://www.mayleswatersports.co.uk/portfolio-item/crownline-260-ls-265-ss/
Have a look at the hydro-lift boat he has too...what a beauty.

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Chaparral man here, our '03 Chap 262ssi was a great boat. Rough water didn't bother it, would tow a Great Big Mable with 4 large souls aboard without breaking a sweat, 7 kids and 2 adults will fit in the bow with ease, and after 5 seasons it showed maybe 6 months wear and tear. The 8.1 (with captain call :) ) wouldn't reach 60mph but it had enough grunt to get itself and 14 souls on plane in about 6 seconds and run us all at near 50...

chapb4c.jpg

chaptow2.jpg

chapbow.jpg

chapaftera.jpg

chapb4a.jpg

===================

these last 2 pics, one was taken when we bought it in 2011, the other was taken when we sold it in 2016...
Guess which is which ? :D

Highly recommended...

Dturnbull

Cadet
Hi

I'd say that not many, if any of those boats will do a genuine 60mph on the gps ? I may be corrected, but it takes serious power and prop set up to achieve this.
I'm sure many will say their boat does 60, but looking at the standard fitter water pressure "dream-o-meter" just doesn't really count, haha.
The closest thing I have see to what you may be after, is currently for sale in my local marina (all be it, most likely across the Atlantic from you).
It's a crownline 260 SS. Quite a special boat with an 8.1l HO MPI and Corsa marine exhausts like mine.
This, although a heavy boat and it's near 400hp will apparently do nearly 60mph on a good day.
Have a look, but this is the kind of power you need to get close to your speed ambitions with this size of boat. They are few and far between.
http://www.mayleswatersports.co.uk/portfolio-item/crownline-260-ls-265-ss/
Have a look at the hydro-lift boat he has too...what a beauty.

​Thanks for the info! Yes that crownline SS is nice. It seems to me Crownline and stingray both used to make nice luxary go fast boats but both have got away from them. I tried to build a stingray (250LR)on there website and they only offer 300hp and captains call isn't even an option! :( Remember the 230SX!

Dturnbull

Cadet
Chaparral man here, our '03 Chap 262ssi was a great boat. Rough water didn't bother it, would tow a Great Big Mable with 4 large souls aboard without breaking a sweat, 7 kids and 2 adults will fit in the bow with ease, and after 5 seasons it showed maybe 6 months wear and tear. The 8.1 (with captain call :) ) wouldn't reach 60mph but it had enough grunt to get itself and 14 souls on plane in about 6 seconds and run us all at near 50...

chapb4c.jpg

chaptow2.jpg

chapbow.jpg

chapaftera.jpg

chapb4a.jpg

===================

these last 2 pics, one was taken when we bought it in 2011, the other was taken when we sold it in 2016...
Guess which is which ? :D

Highly recommended...

​Nice boat thanks for the pics! What do you have now? I do really like the new chap 277 SSX! This one is nice also.

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2009-chaparral-ssx-276-103135049/

Beagleville

Seaman
Selectable exhaust this time as I just love the sound,
​Derek

​I live less than a mile from Sebago Lake as the crow flies. There are a lot of very expensive properties on that lake. I sit on my porch in the evenings and listen to those open exhausts roaring around, and I can tell you if I'd paid what some of those poor schmucks had paid for their properties I would NOT be a happy camper.

Dturnbull

Cadet
Yeah, there are some fast loud boats on that Lake! To each there own! I happen to like it and will be one of those schmucks at some point in the near future, and will enjoy every second of those boats racing around and so will my two young boys LOL. :joyous::usa2:

Old Ironmaker

Captain
We live lakeside as well and like the sound of those Go Fast beasts. I say "That's the sound of money." The reason I like it is that there is a chap here and his wife we really don't enjoy hosting. We can hear his boat coming from miles away and we can then get a warning they are coming. There is a saying in Southern Italian that directly translates to " Eats, drinks, don't pay and won't leave."