How to figure mileage of a kayaking route

frank1492

Seaman Apprentice
Let's say you put in at a location on ,say, a Google map at the base of a peninsula and wish to paddle around the peninsula to a point on the other side near the base. What is the best way to get a fairly accuate estimate of the length of the curved route, using a computer program or app? I would think one would have to plot a series of waypoints, but what is the best method and tool? Thanks very much. Frank

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Google Earth has a 'measure' tool that'll show you the distance between 2 specific points. If you break your route up into multiple straight lines you can add them together and get a reasonable estimate. If you have a paper nautical chart you can do the same using a pair of dividers and the distance legend on the edge of the chart.

To do it electronically you'll need a chartplotter or PC program and electronic charts. Then, as you said, you drop waypoints along the route. The program will calculate the total length of the route.

I use OpenCPN on my laptop. It's free and it works, but it has a learning curve. You also have to download the appropriate NOAA electronic raster charts (also free) and link them individually to the program.

My .02

southkogs

Staff member
I've been using Navionics both online and on my iPhone. It'll do that ... pretty inexpensive little app too.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I have a hand-held garmin that floats. use it all the time. best hand-held device specifically for boating/canoeing/kayaking/hiking.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Google earth is for all practical purposes "dead on accurate." And it's free. Yes you must make series of straight lines but you likely will not stay perfectly true to your course paddling either.

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
There are lots of phone apps that track routes without any work. Some are meant for biking or hiking that should work but maybe there is one for boating too.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Many options out there, most are free. Buddies carry hand held GPS on their hunting trips in the bush. Easy way to get unlost.

Janster

Cadet
An App would be a great tool..... Just one word of advice - DO NOT run the App while your phone is in a drybag.

I was using MapMyRun App (fitness app that will track your route) while my phone was in a drybag. The phone overheated and went into a ?shutdown? mode becuase it overheated. A huge (And rather ugly) warning sign would come up when I tried to use the phone. And now, 2 years later - my phone has issues and the only thing I can think of - is the ?overheating? issue really killed the internals.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
^^^^ one of the reasons a phone may be a jack of all trades....... however its a master of none.

a hand-held GPS for hiking/biking/boating/etc that is water proof and floats is the best tool for the job