Always in gear.

san dimas

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello everyone. I have a 1968 Evinrude 3hp that is direct drive(always in gear). To reverse you just turn the motor around 180 degrees. I plan on putting it on a a 14' aluminum boat. How hard do you think it would be to launch this off of a trailer in small lakes? I'm worried about the boat moving as soon as the engine starts. Thanks.

SOG3

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Do like I do with my '71 Johnson 4,tie it off to the dock ,crank it ,and let it idle on choke till it warms up a little ,then throw off the line and go ! Shouldn't be a problem launching off a trailer,and if you don't have a dock to tie to,nose it against the bank,then spin it around when it warms up.I can't see any problems .

Last edited:

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Those motors aren't exactly powerhouses, so even if you're on the trailer with the motor running, you're not likely to launch yourself into the tailgate.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Sounds like a neat old motor. It should be hanging on a wall not a transom. But is so cool that it is still in use. I would start it while tied off with plenty of slack and let her idle to warm, maybe lift her out of the water once in a while so the torque of that 3 HP doesn't break a line. Yes I jest, you aren't going anywhere until you untie. Go enjoy. I would love to see a pic of that motor.

SOG3

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No Title

Sounds like a neat old motor. It should be hanging on a wall not a transom. But is so cool that it is still in use. I would start it while tied off with plenty of slack and let her idle to warm, maybe lift her out of the water once in a while so the torque of that 3 HP doesn't break a line. Yes I jest, you aren't going anywhere until you untie. Go enjoy. I would love to see a pic of that motor.
Not highjacking,but here's my little 4HP Johnson that is in gear all the time,1971 model and runs like a sewing machine !

Attachments

• photo278242.JPG
    photo278242.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 0

southkogs

Staff member
paddle or oars to get away from shore
That's how we do it. I've got an old Evinrude 3HP - late 50s model. We'd shove off the dock, maybe row out a little extra, and then crank up the outboard.

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
No offense but I?d just put that motor on display somewhere and get a newer modern motor. That is an old motor and I doubt there is much left in it. Sometime it will get you somewhere but will fail to get you back. It?s a cool motor but will probably end up being problematic and frustrating, no fun.

Fed

Commander
You'll be right san dimas, my first boat was a 265 cubic inch side valve ford motor directly coupled to the prop shaft & that was very exciting to pump the throttle while cranking it over on a cold morning. Just aim it towards some open space when you fire it up.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I picked up a 1952 Sears Elgin 3 HP that I am going to restore this winter. That will be a wall hanger if I do a good job. There are a few more I have my eye on that a pal has, he's a picker but not a seller.

Ned L

Commander
Nothing wrong with running a 1968 Evenrude. Quite frankly it is probably more reliable and will still last longer than a new one today. Once you get comfortable with the 'direct drive' aspect and 180 deg reverse it really is easy.

Beagleville

Seaman
Nothing wrong with running a 1968 Evenrude. Quite frankly it is probably more reliable and will still last longer than a new one today. Once you get comfortable with the 'direct drive' aspect and 180 deg reverse it really is easy.

​I agree. Those were great motors and they built a ton of them. Quiet and smooth. As long as the engine itself is basically sound and it has a good impeller, you'll get good service from it.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
No offense but I’d just put that motor on display somewhere and get a newer modern motor. That is an old motor and I doubt there is much left in it. Sometime it will get you somewhere but will fail to get you back. It’s a cool motor but will probably end up being problematic and frustrating, no fun.

You're clearly not familiar with those "old" Johnrude twins. Some of the best motors ever built and age has no meaning to them. If they're well taken care of, they'll outlast all of us. Most just need basic tune-up stuff to be returned to reliable service.

Ned L

Commander
And it doesn't really matter Johnson/Evenrude for that outboard, they were exactly the same except for the color paint and logo).

theNailer

Seaman Apprentice
I too have one, for what it's worth. Problem is though, I've been storing it for 'some years now' as I don't have a boat anymore that it's worth putting on. It just ain't gonna do much, on a 26' SeaRay, is it? :D

To keep/to sell,,, to keep/to sell.... ?????