Aluminum V Hull for HP Restricted Reservoir

Janderson45

Recruit
Hey guys, first post here. I've been doing lots of reading online about fishing boats and have come across lots of useful information on this forum, so I figured I would join and start my own topic about my search for my first fishing boat.

The boat will be used for freshwater fishing, mainly bass but also salmon, trout, pike and walleye. I fish a very wide variety of water types from rivers to ponds, lakes and large reservoirs. My favorite local fishery is a large 25,000 acre drinking water reservoir. Because the reservoir has strict restrictions and can get rough at times I'm selecting a boat best suited to fishing the reservoir but it will also be used in much smaller lakes like 250-500 acres and mid sized 500-3,000 acre lakes.

Here's the main issue- the large reservoir that I fish the most and am buying a boat tailored for has a 25HP outboard limit and only allows four stroke engines. They also state that horsepower is limited to a maximum of 1/2 of the boats listed maximum. The one exception to this rule is that they will allow a 25hp outboard on a boat with a 40hp limit. There are a few other restrictions as well but the only other one that applies to my boat purchase is that they also do not allow carpeted bunks on trailers.

With all this in mind I've been mainly looking at 16' aluminum V hull fishing boats. I would also consider a 16' or 17' mod v style bass boat, but I'm worried that the light aluminum construction and hull designs on the Mod V boats would keep me off the reservoir in anything but calm conditions. If this wasn't a major concern of mine I would go Mod-V for sure as it would be better suited for the smaller shallow lakes that I often fish. I also fish small local club tournaments and a Mod-V style bass boat is much better suited for those events, even if it is on the smaller and slower and cheaper end.

I've been mostly drawn to Lund for reasons I can't explain. Probably mostly marketing and positive reviews from guys that use them up in the great lakes and also on my reservoir. Due to the 25HP restriction my model choices are limited... I've mainly been looking at the Fury 1600, Rebel 1600, and Fury 1625XL models with a 25HP Mercury ELHPT 4S. I have no brand loyalty towards outboards and would be happy to affix whatever motor would give me the best performance- the lund website's boat builder gives mercury and Honda for outboard options so I picked the mercury.

I've also looked at Crestliner and Tracker. I do like the 1600 Vision from Crestliner and Tracker has two 16' V Hull models that are cheaper than other brands, the convenient and budget option but probably my 3rd choice of brand at this point.

My main concerns regard boat performance under typical fishing loads. With the 25HP restriction your choices are limited a bit if you want the boat to be able to get up on plane and travel at a respectable speed. The majority of my questions are based off that concern.

Tiller vs Side Console vs Walk Through:
- Being a mainly bass angler originally I wanted a side console, it just felt more natural to me steering from the middle of the boat behind a nice "home base" to hold a drink, cellphone, large fish finder/gps, performance gauges and switches for electronics, and a place to hide from the elements a little while running WOT down the lake. Because of the horsepower and size restrictions in this case I started looking into tillers and had some people turn me on to the benefits that they come with... namely more responsive steering in forward and reverse, more open deck and casting space in the already small 16' boat, ability to operate a transom mounted trolling motor and finally the overall weight reduction of the boat.

With all those things in mind which one would you pick? If the weight difference of a side console is relatively negligible and all other factors are the same, shouldn't it theoretically plane easier/faster than a tiller configuration because the driver (200lbs) is in the center of the boat and not the back? If this effect does exist is it compounded with only 1 person (the driver) in the boat?

How much overall weight can I realistically ask this motor to push on these kind of hulls? Does boat only weight have a different effect on performance than load weight or overall weight? Obviously I realize that with such a small outboard I'll never be a speed demon or get great performance, I'm simply looking to do the best that I can under the circumstances. The rental boat that I currently run on the reservoir is a 14' Aluminum V with 8hp four stroke. With 2 people and fishing gear I'm lucky to achieve anything over 7mph at WOT. Anything has got to be an upgrade over this configuration... with the same or slightly heavier load I'd be happy to get 15-20mph out of the boat and have it hopefully get on plane... anything over 20mph is gravy but I'd happily take it if I could get it.

Storage and features are important to me. I have lots of rods and tackle, far too much to bring on the boat all of the time but I still want to be able to bring whatever I think I'm going to need, and then probably some more. I plan to have relatively expensive and large sonar/gps units mounted at the console (or rear if tiller model) and a powerful (55-80# thrust) bow mounted and gps integrated trolling motor. Perhaps a transom mount trolling motor as well if I go with a tiller configuration..

The boats I listed range in dry weight without a motor from 500 to 1,000lbs. If I could achieve the desired performance from a total load of say 1,500lbs (boat motor, batteries, fuel, trolling motor, fishing gear and 2 adult passengers) that would be awesome. I'd love to have the ability to occasionally have a third passenger but I understand if I do that I'll be really pushing it.

What else can I do to maximize performance? Speciality prop for the outboard? Jack plate? Weight distribution and hull shape? I'm all ears.

Sorry for the long winded first post, I could write and ask significantly more even but I think this is a good start and gets most of my important questions answered. I appreciate any and all guidance!

What would you do under the same circumstances?

Thanks!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to iboats.

Wow, those are some nasty restrictions.

If I were you I would prioritize 16' rated for 40 hp.
lightest weight possible.
That would let you run a 25 hp motor.

You are gonna struggle getting on plane if you add what you want.

Get a motor with electric AND pull start, keep troller to a 12v model (55# or less) so you only need 1 battery, you can pull start the outboard if you run the battery too low with the troller. each battery will add 50#.

3 or 6 gallon portable fuel tank, as built in tanks are bigger and heavier.

Yeah, lots of storage is nice, but all those lockers and covers and hardware are gonna add weight.

I suppose you need a livewell for the tournaments. Thats gonna be heavy when filled.

After you buy a rig, buy an inductive tach and select prop to achieve proper wide open throttle rpm.

I know you want a nice boat, storage, floor, carpet, big troller, console, etc, but I don't see how a 25 is gonna plane out an 850# boat with 800# of weight added to it.

Maybe a 1600 Fury tiller.

Seems like the 1/2 of rated hp is a way to keep you from going very fast, maybe even an attempt to keep you off plane completely.

Where is this lake?

Maybe its time to relocate :eek:

What are the other fishermen on this lake using?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
since its a water reservoir for a municipal drinking supply, I understand the restrictions

ours are similar, however 20hp limit. right now i'm in a 14' tiller powered by 12hp

regarding the bunks, use composite decking (HDPE) over your wood bunks. one sneeze and the boat will slide off

southkogs

Staff member
Any reason not to get a 16'(+/-) open with a tiller outboard rated in the 30HP range, and then get a used 4 stroke 6 or 9HP? Dunno' if you can mount 'em both back there or if you'd have to swap 'em up ... but 1/2 power of max can sometimes make a real slug outta' a boat.

That said, I'm a big fan of an open 14' tin boat with around 10HP and a set of oars. I still think they're one of the best fishin' rigs out there.

Janderson45

Recruit
Thanks for the responses so far guys. I was afraid I'd get all answers telling me that it wasn't plausible or that I needed a bigger motor otherwise forget it. I get where you guys are coming from but that's simply not an option... It has to be a 25HP. It HAS to be better than what I'm currently using... a 14' V aluminum with an old 8HP outboard... like I said, I usually get about 6.5mph wide open with that setup... doubling or tripling that speed would go a very long way to increasing my efficiency on the water. It's a large reservoir and the better you can get around it the more time you have to fish and locations you can get to. Not to mention the increase in fishability and comfort...

There's lots of 16' V hulls and similar craft out there... they've got to all be having the same issue obviously- not many people are running 14' boats unless it is one of the rental boats which are awful to fish out of. There's plenty of larger boats too, with full walkthrough windshields, bimini tops or weather enclosures and numerous downriggers mounted... they face the same 25HP restriction.

Perhaps "getting on plane" isn't really what I'm looking to do here? Maybe most of the boats on the reservoir don't really ever get on plane? On a different lake I recently fished out of a 17' tracker with a 25HP outboard, it maxed out at around 17 or 18mph... I thought to myself that this would be a huge improvement if I could use it on the reservoir. I know it probably doesn't sound like much to guys, but 18-20mph feels like flying when you're used to running 6.5mph in a 14' aluminum or even slower in a fishing kayak...

I'm just looking for the best performance I can reasonably get while not sacrificing features that are the main reason for buying the boat to begin with... I know the 24v trolling motor will add extra weight, but it'll probably be the most important equipment on the boat. Once I make the long run from the launch to a designated area I may be on that trolling motor for hours straight... I supposed I could keep it to 55 pound 12v models, but felt like the 70 or 80lb models would really help push the boat nicely... If I can't push it nicely with the small outboard at least I can pull it nicely with the bowmount trolling motor?

If the only answer is to get a small 14' V-Hull Jon boat with no frills I probably just wont buy a boat at all. 14' is very crammed with two 6' tall adult males, 12 fishing rods, tackle, cooler, fish finder and trolling motor.. etc.

Southkogs- Are you recommending that I get a properly sized motor and then swap it out with a smaller motor for when fishing the Reservoir, or setting it up as a kicker motor? That's an option I suppose but being new to all of this I was nervous about the plausibility of swapping outboards frequently, the cost associated with 2 motors... and If I get a bigger (say 50HP) outboard with a kicker for the reservoir... well then that 9.9HP kicker will probably land me back in the 6-8MPH speed limit that I already struggle with and am trying to increase upon?

This is frustrating/discouraging. Really wish they would just up the limit to 40 or 50HP - it would make a huge difference for boaters.. but they don't care about us, it's all about protecting the water supply...

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
25,000 acres and only 25 horsepower?!!? That's wild. Most of our local Kansas reservoirs are a fifth to a third of that size, are used for drinking water, and have no power limits. What a bummer.

Janderson45

Recruit
25,000 acres and only 25 horsepower?!!? That's wild. Most of our local Kansas reservoirs are a fifth to a third of that size, are used for drinking water, and have no power limits. What a bummer.

Yup, sure is... In fairness you're only allowed to boat or fish in 1/2 of it, so it effectively makes it more like 12,000 acres... but since its 25,000 acres in total size you don't want to be out there in a Jon boat when the wind kicks up and you've only got 25HP to push you...

It's the Quabbin Reservoir, in Western Massachusetts. At the time of it's construction it was one of the largest man made drinking water reservoirs ever built. Not sure how it stacks up now. Outboard restrictions and general boating regulations have been in place for decades now, very little ever changes...

The fishery itself however.... is fantastic. Holds something like 8 state records for fishing. Loaded with tons of different bait fish, smallmouth bass, lake trout and landlocked salmon. Even in the lousy rental boats I mentioned above it's not at all uncommon for me to get out there and catch 25 or more smallmouth bass in a day. Since it's man made and they flooded 4 towns to construct it the reservoir has some CRAZY underwater structure... areas that rise from 100' of water to 8' of water in the blink of an eye.... 25' humps surrounded by 100' of water.. etc.

It also has water transparency of about 20 feet, and is loaded with Loons and Bald Eagles... very cool spot.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
I see they don't allow dogs, drones, or swimming, but all
those fish get to poop and pee in the drinking water? I'm surprised they haven't eliminated the fish.
And four towns were flooded. Do you think they removed every contaminant from the soil and buildings before it was flooded in 1939?

I love the restriction that says you must keep boats at least 500' from loons. Just how do you do that?

Around here, the loons follow you, and steal your minnows off your jigs.

Lowlysubaruguy

Chief Petty Officer
Food for thought I owned a smokercraft sixteen foot deep v boat it had a 25 hp Ob on it. I hated the boat because it could not plane well enough to prevent this wall of water spray you literally could not be in that boat without being covered head to toe in rain gear. A fifty hp Ob might have helped but three guys and gear would have needed seventy five hp. I had the motor bought the boat New kept it two years and sold it. Never once looked back. Im thinking fourteen to fifteen foot as deep a v as possible with a forty hp find a boat rated for eighty hp

southkogs

Staff member
Southkogs- Are you recommending that I get a properly sized motor and then swap it out with a smaller motor for when fishing the Reservoir, or setting it up as a kicker motor? That's an option I suppose but being new to all of this I was nervous about the plausibility of swapping outboards frequently, the cost associated with 2 motors... and If I get a bigger (say 50HP) outboard with a kicker for the reservoir... well then that 9.9HP kicker will probably land me back in the 6-8MPH speed limit that I already struggle with and am trying to increase upon?
Maybe. Or at least look at it. A 50HP motor is "man-handle-able" though not light. If you had an open boat that was rated for 40 or 50, and could swap down to a 20 or so that wouldn't be horrible.

Or alternatively, an open boat rated for 20(ish) and have a 10HP hanging beside it. Provided you could get the 10HP kinda' cheap.

One hitch you're up against is that nearly any hull at 50% of it's max HP is going to struggle with performance. The generally applied rule is 75% of max for the hull to perform right. Even if that's a wives tale, you're still pulling half the power the hull in question is designed for functioning with. The lower the max HP rating on the hull, then (theoretically) the less of an applied gap you're creating. If a boat is rated for 100HP, and you're only giving it 50HP it's different than a boat designed for 20HP only getting 10. The smaller gap will allow the little boat to perform "better" while under powered. See what I mean?

I guess for me, I'd be looking for the lightest rowboat in the 14' range - tossing half the HP on it - and strategically locating boat ramps.

Janderson45

Recruit
Maybe. Or at least look at it. A 50HP motor is "man-handle-able" though not light. If you had an open boat that was rated for 40 or 50, and could swap down to a 20 or so that wouldn't be horrible.

Or alternatively, an open boat rated for 20(ish) and have a 10HP hanging beside it. Provided you could get the 10HP kinda' cheap.

One hitch you're up against is that nearly any hull at 50% of it's max HP is going to struggle with performance. The generally applied rule is 75% of max for the hull to perform right. Even if that's a wives tale, you're still pulling half the power the hull in question is designed for functioning with. The lower the max HP rating on the hull, then (theoretically) the less of an applied gap you're creating. If a boat is rated for 100HP, and you're only giving it 50HP it's different than a boat designed for 20HP only getting 10. The smaller gap will allow the little boat to perform "better" while under powered. See what I mean?

I guess for me, I'd be looking for the lightest rowboat in the 14' range - tossing half the HP on it - and strategically locating boat ramps.

Yes this makes sense, thank you for the explanation. Strategically locating boat ramps is a nice thought, but there's only two of them so in reality it's not super practical.

The Lund 16' Fury Tiller is only 520lbs and rated for 40HP max, maybe I'll look into that. The 16' Rebel tiller is a good deal nicer but weighs about 650lbs.

If I went with a boat that's 650-700lbs, rated for a 50HP engine and put the 25HP on it what would the end result be? A boat that doesn't plane or takes a very long time to plane? How fast MPH wise would we be talking? There's quite a few boats I see out there that are bigger and heavier than the 520lbs of the Lund Fury Tiller... these guys must just be accepting the fact that they won't get on plane and take whatever speed they can get?

Seems like a lot of you think I should reconsider getting a reservoir boat all together... I've certainly thought about what I would get if I didn't have to play by these restrictions, but it's a very tough call to make because it's definitely my favorite place to fish that is reasonably convenient for a day trip.

They also don't let you fish the reservoir at all from Mid October-Mid April and always make you get off the water 1.5 hours before sunset. Seems like some of the more strict regulations around based off all your reactions.

And yes- the "keep 500 feet from loons" rule is absurd and unrealistic. They recently added that one.

On opening day (Usually 2nd or 3rd Saturday in April). People line up and sleep in their cars/trucks overnight to reserve a spot in the launching line the next morning. You guys in other true northern states don't know how good you truly have it!!

WIMUSKY

Staff member
If I'm reading this right, using a 25hp you will get the same mph whether it's a tiller or side console..... Seems like a good option. 22mph should put a smile on your face. When I get up on plane with my 16' and back down on the throttle, I'm running around 22/23..

Looks like it has lots of room. I would forget about thinking about a 17'......

http://www.lundboats.com/boat-models/1600-rebel/#specs

Good luck...

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I would never boat using 50% of the rated horse power. You will hate fishing in it. Because you will not get on plane there is a good chance a sudden gust of wind will take on water over the transom and or flip the thing. Stay away from Trackers if your budget allows. They are commonly know as Crackers, not well built. I would look for different waters to fish and max out on HP. Have you looked at StarCraft? Fantastic fishing boats, I know I have one. My opinions based on experience, many may not agree. Shopping for a boat can be frustrating with so many lines out there as well as engine choices, it's much easier looking for a car or truck. Good luck shopping.

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
For a different opinion, and perhaps you won't find it what you want. I'd suggest a Zodiac inflatable with aluminum floor. Rated at 40hp it will easily plane with a 25hp engine even with some load. The hull design and light weight make all the difference. It's also better and safer in severe weather and the max payload is higher than a metal hull. Because of your unique restrictions it might be a good workaround. I had a slightly smaller one rated for 20 hp and it would plane with a 5 hp and one adult.