Four Winns Horizon 180 - Listing to Port

BRBHorizon

Cadet
1999 Four Winns Horizon 180 BR with 130 HP Johnson Ocean Pro OB.

As the title suggests, my boat has developed a marked list to port. When I say developed, I mean we've had the boat a year now and it didn't have the list before. The only thing I changed was the prop but that was when I first bought the boat.
Last night we took it out: the were 5 of us in the boat. I had the three men sit on the starboard side and the 2 women (significantly lighter) sit on the port side. The boat still listed to port to the point where it became unnerving when making a tight left turn.
At one point I let go of the steering wheel (at high speed) and it whipped to the right so fast I thought I was going to flip the boat. I'm constantly "steering" left when at speed but it seems to track perfectly when running slowly.
Could the torque tab be the problem? (it is angled slightly left now) I'm hesitant to put trim tabs on such a small, basic, boat. If I were to do so, do they affect performance much?
I've removed the drain plug several times and absolutely no water has come out. Is it possible to have water trapped somewhere that doesn't get to the drain?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

southkogs

Staff member
Is it listing when sitting still? Or is that just happening when you're in motion?

BRBHorizon

Cadet
Is it listing when sitting still? Or is that just happening when you're in motion?

Seems to be fairly level when at rest and moving slowly. The list becomes more pronounced the fast we get. Keep in mind that this was not happening until a few weeks ago and, if anything, seems to be getting worse with time. I can't help thinking it's water. That said, I would think that would make it list when sitting still. I'm going to strip the seat/floor on the weekend and see if I can find anything under there I think but I can figure why it's so much worse at speed

southkogs

Staff member
Look at the obvious stuff first - check the trim tab on the outboard and see if it's over to the port side. Look at the skeg and see if it's bent at all. Make sure the outboard is sitting square on the transom. And then like you said, check for any signs of water intrusion.

When you pull the plug or run the bilge, how much water comes out?

BRBHorizon

Cadet
Look at the obvious stuff first - check the trim tab on the outboard and see if it's over to the port side. Look at the skeg and see if it's bent at all. Make sure the outboard is sitting square on the transom. And then like you said, check for any signs of water intrusion.

When you pull the plug or run the bilge, how much water comes out?
That's what has me confused, basically no water comes out unless we've had a good rain and I didn't get the cover on. I'm wondering there could be water that's trapped somehow although I'm not sure that would explain it being worse at speed.

As for the torque tab I'll check that and I get where that can affect steering, could it cause the list?

southkogs

Staff member
At speed, yes. It's possible. If you're constantly fighting a thrust pushing a turn, the hull can list. The fact that it's pretty level sitting still suggest to me that it's a mechanical/effect issue rather than water.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Ah...a common problem with outboard powered light fast running speed boats. Particularly without power steering to counter the action. Few things to consider in my experience.
A cross wind can cause this, without realising...on a light hull and when planing, a cross wind can be pushing the boat sideways and to counter this, often without realising, you naturally find yourself steering slightly towards the wind...the boat doesn't know this, but the steering naturally causes the boat to lean as if it's turning. Have a look next time out.

As mentioned...the trim tab can be adjusted to counter the naturally occurring force of the prop, perhaps pushing the boat to one side (of not the above).

If it's just a weight distribution problem that is difficult to counter on a light boat (and particularly in the situation you describe above) and if you have a fair amount on board...you are likely trimmed down and in either to allow the boat to plane or to stop porpoising, with the extra weight on board. The engine trimmed in will encourage the boat to list or heel easily. Try trimming out as much as possible, once up on the plane.
Be interesting to hear if it still does it lightly loaded.

All above taken in....it tends to just happen on a light outboard powered boat...with just cable steering, there is no counter resistance against such forces.

Have a think about the cross wind theory though. Interested to hear how you get on.

BRBHorizon

Cadet
Cross wind is an interesting theory but I suspect that's not the cause. The reason I say this is because it lists (I should say listed) to port regardless of the direction traveled.

The reason I say "listed" is because I think I have it mostly fixed. I adjusted the torque tab as far right as it would go. In the process of doing that, it also occured to me that there was a bend in the skeg that was not helping me. I didn't pay too much attention to that before as it was there when I bought the boat and I didn't have the list problem back then. It was bent to the left a little so I went about straightening that. YouTube really is your friend when it comes to stuff like that. The video below is longer than it needs to be but the method worked like a charm.

Anyway, after both these adjustments we took the boat out and the steering was night and day compared with before. I suspect maybe the torque tab had moved, that's the only way I can think it would have changed. There is still the slightest list to port but I suspect I'm be overly watchful for it now. All in all, much better.

Thanks for all the tips guys