Just one trim tab??

W_Guy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Why would a boat have just one trim tab on the starboard side?

Attachments

• photo277311.jpg
    photo277311.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
it looks home made

my guess is because the driver and other stuff are on that side and in stead of buying a proper set of trim tabs, they made that contraption.

southkogs

Staff member
... how the heck did they get the out drive to rotate around up like that? That's a new one on me.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
They don't look like they're for high horsepower use, but that's a small block Ford V8 in front of it. I think the drive either pops off or does the 180.

Kinda cool, but why they aren't around anymore? Oh, because they could fall off if a single pin that held the drive on broke.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Looks like a old 70 or so ford as a hauler also.I thought that was one of those upside down scuba boats:D

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
That's just a fix for a list problem. Wakeboats often have just one tab but it's in the center and is used to adjust pitch rather than list. They don't tend to put ones on the sides as the purpose of the hull is to have the smoothest wake.

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Boat is listing while on plane. Take it off and see what happens.

W_Guy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for getting back on topic. I guess the list is because the helm and the gas tank are on the starboard side.

Ned L

Commander
Yes, starboard helm puts the starboard side down a bit, and the left hand prop also contributes to the starboard side down a bit.

W_Guy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes, starboard helm puts the starboard side down a bit, and the left hand prop also contributes to the starboard side down a bit.

When you say left hand prop, do you mean the prop turns CCW viewed from the rear?

W_Guy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The engine in the boat is stamped RH rotation. I guess that must be viewed from the front.

Ned L

Commander
Hmmmm,..... must be. That is oposite of normal convention. Marine engine rotation is normally referenced from aft looking forward.

W_Guy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've always been confused by that because some inboard engines are mounted flywheel forward and some with the flywheel to the rear.

Ned L

Commander
Yep. Also many people bring automotive 'terminology' into the conversation when talking about marine applications which complicates it even more.

Flywheel forward technology is probably outdated today. There was a definate advantage to a forward flywheel as it allows the engine to sit lower in the boat with a shallower shaft angle (both desirable). The main disadvantage is that if you hit something all the braking motion of stopping the prop shaft has to transfer through the crank shaft to get to the flywheel and slow it down (not desirable from an engineering perspective).