seat post removal??

winterhawk78

Seaman
How does the seat post in attached picture come off?

Attachments

• photo277065.jpg
    photo277065.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
grab it and pull up. its a simple 3/4" peg in a plastic lined hole

Alumarine

Captain
Have you tried turning it with channel locks or a pipe wrench?
Maybe spray it with something?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
my guess its been in there for a while and is now corroded in place.

winterhawk78

Seaman
yes I have turned it with a pipe wrench and It barely turns and doesn't want to pull up. if you look at the picture real close you can see the teeth marks from the wrench, I will try to soak it with some kind of penetrating oil and see if that helps the process

Lowlysubaruguy

Chief Petty Officer
Boil some water in a large pot put it in long enough that it works free you may have to run them out to the garage and work them in a vice a little but it works. I fought three of mine during a complete interior rebuild tried lots of things boiling water and a little effort all three came apart and are fully functional

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
It may be a screw-in post. If it turns but doesn't come out, continue turning. Lots of those were used in the day and probably still are.

Alumarine

Captain
It may be a screw-in post. If it turns but doesn't come out, continue turning. Lots of those were used in the day and probably still are.

Yes, and if it's a screw in post then make sure you're turning it the right way!

winterhawk78

Seaman

I turned it with the wrench for a solid 15 minutes. if it even had fine threads I feel it should have came out...

BTL

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have the same thing on the rear deck of my Tracker V16. That post has been stuck for at least 6 or 7 years now. I've tried every wrench, hammer, and penetrating fluid imaginable and it doesn't even budge. I couldn't have welded it that solid if I tried :lol:

If yours is turning you should be able to work it free I would think. Is there any access to the bottom of the post mount through the hatches?

winterhawk78

Seaman
I have the same thing on the rear deck of my Tracker V16. That post has been stuck for at least 6 or 7 years now. I've tried every wrench, hammer, and penetrating fluid imaginable and it doesn't even budge. I couldn't have welded it that solid if I tried :lol:

If yours is turning you should be able to work it free I would think. Is there any access to the bottom of the post mount through the hatches?

it will spin but that is about it, and I have to tug pretty hard with a pipe wrench to get it to do that. I will check to see if there is something in the livewell

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
The threaded stub in the bottom of the post may be spinning inside the post. Is there no name or manufacturer info on the post?

winterhawk78

Seaman
The threaded stub in the bottom of the post may be spinning inside the post. Is there no name or manufacturer info on the post?

nothing except the sticker in the picture in the first post. So how would I go about getting it out if its spinning.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Look carefully at the bottom of the post. That narrow plastic ring would mean the stud is captured in a plastic insert that is slipped into the metal post. That plastic may be spinning inside the post. Turn the post while looking at this ring. If the post is turning but the plastic is not, you should be able to simply pull straight up on the post so pull it free of the stud and plastic. If the plastic is turning with the post, then the stud is turning inside the plastic. Drill a hole into the post at the bottom of the post. Insert a screw so when you turn the post, the screw captures the plastic and allows it to turn as well. Pull the cap at the top of the post and then shine a light down the tube so you can see what's at the bottom. There is a solution but you need to do something other than wonder!

winterhawk78

Seaman
Look carefully at the bottom of the post. That narrow plastic ring would mean the stud is captured in a plastic insert that is slipped into the metal post. That plastic may be spinning inside the post. Turn the post while looking at this ring. If the post is turning but the plastic is not, you should be able to simply pull straight up on the post so pull it free of the stud and plastic. If the plastic is turning with the post, then the stud is turning inside the plastic. Drill a hole into the post at the bottom of the post. Insert a screw so when you turn the post, the screw captures the plastic and allows it to turn as well. Pull the cap at the top of the post and then shine a light down the tube so you can see what's at the bottom. There is a solution but you need to do something other than wonder!

I will look into this, the post is real close to the carpet so I don't know if I can tell or not.

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Is it possible something like this is going on? I don't know that I'd trust sitting that high up on withOUT the thing being physically bolted down...

post.jpg

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Kingpin type pedestal.

some screw in.
some simply push in, snap in place.

The screw in one that I had, could not spin the base.
It was a 6" square plate with a welded on threaded socket.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Seat posts that simply pop into a base have the base screwed to the floor over the carpet. Some screw in posts also have a base that screws to the floor over the carpet. Some bases are installed under the carpet or under the floor which this one appears to be. That plastic ring at the bottom of the post is visible in the photo. Look at it while turning the post.