seat post removal??

winterhawk78

Seaman
i still havent been able to get those post out. it is becoming a pain.
new pics

Attachments

• photo289201.jpg
    photo289201.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 0

winterhawk78

Seaman
and another, i marked this one with a sharpie and the hole thing turns

Attachments

• photo289202.jpg
    photo289202.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 0

briangcc

Commander
Since the post looks like its seen better days now with the marks from the pipe wrench, channel locks, whatnot, might I suggest an alternative approach? Sawzall. I'd cut the silly thing off at this stage.

My guess is that you're probably going to have to pull the base plate as well which from appearances seems to indicate the carpet's getting cut too.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

winterhawk78

Seaman
I'd like yo get it out and get a new one and actually use it. I inherited this problem from previous owner.

valvebounce

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If the fixing is aluminium to steel,you have probably got corrosion.There is no lubricant for this type of corrosion because the corrosion itself is actually aluminium oxide.I have in the past used spirit vinegar,which is a form of acid,this dissolves the aluminium oxide.For areas where there are no carpets etc to be damaged,there is an acid on the market that dissolves aluminium oxide.(handy for stuck steel bolts in aluminium.)

winterhawk78

Seaman
But i can use a pipe wrench and spin it around and around. Im actually working on it now. I just spun it 10 times and it never came up even a 1/16 of an inch. I even got a good gripe with a pipe wrench and put a floor jack u der it and tried to lift it. Never moved. Of course i didnt over do it cause i didnt want to mess up my floor.

valvebounce

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sounds a bit of a problem.How about drilling a hole straight through it and inserting a bar,then putting something on the carpet to protect it,and levering it up with a lever either side of the bar.(about an inch above the carpet)

winterhawk78

Seaman
Sounds a bit of a problem.How about drilling a hole straight through it and inserting a bar,then putting something on the carpet to protect it,and levering it up with a lever either side of the bar.(about an inch above the carpet)

that is my next option I believe I''ll have to try.

valvebounce

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Have you tried getting at it from underneath?Perhaps the hatch at the back of your seat will let you access the fitting.
It must have been originally fitted somehow.Let's hope it wasn't fitted before the carpeted board.If you wrench it out,there is every possibity that you will damage the fitting beyond repair.

winterhawk78

Seaman
Surely they wouldn't design it to not be removed. Its a trip hazard now, thats the main reason for removal.

briangcc

Commander
About the only other way to get something stuck un-stuck is with heat. And I do not recommend this as you have flammable carpeting, wood floors, and foam under that. None of that reacts well to heat unless you're looking to redecorate your interior or the local fire department needs some practice on putting out boat fires.

Hacksaw or sazall - cut the post down so you can see what you are dealing with. You mentioned you want to replace it so cutting it isn't going to hurt at this stage. As its been a bear, get the baseplate out and replace it as well with something a bit more modern.

winterhawk78

Seaman
About the only other way to get something stuck un-stuck is with heat. And I do not recommend this as you have flammable carpeting, wood floors, and foam under that. None of that reacts well to heat unless you're looking to redecorate your interior or the local fire department needs some practice on putting out boat fires.

Hacksaw or sazall - cut the post down so you can see what you are dealing with. You mentioned you want to replace it so cutting it isn't going to hurt at this stage. As its been a bear, get the baseplate out and replace it as well with something a bit more modern.

Yeah I think I will stay away from an open flame on the boat. haha.. my last resort would be to just cut it off flush and find some sort of plug for it. the base plate is under the carpet, so i dont want to go that route either just yet. thanks for the help

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I would have cut the thing off with a Sawsall 3 pages ago. If you want a seat up there buy a new base and post and be done with it. You sure have a lot more patience than me. I probably would have taken a 10 pound sledgehammer to it already.

briangcc

Commander
From your picture in post #22 it appears there is a retaining dimple just under the sticker. Guessing that is about 1" up from the carpet. I would cut directly across the post about 1/2" up from the carpet which should be below the bottom of that dimple. Depending on what I find inside, I would clear out anything I could. If the vibration from the Sawzall / Hacksaw don't free it up for removal the next step would be to use a cheap metal chisel (Harbor Freight) to fold the post in on itself. At some point I'd wager it'll get loose to pull out. You should be left with a small hole (whatever the cross section of the post is - possibly 3-4") that the new base plate could simply cover over.

If the base plate had to come out....diagonal slices into the carpet from the post radiating out to the point where the baseplate could be removed. Use a sharp blade. Once removed, just glue the carpet down with some carpet cement. Put the new baseplate over top.

Easy, peasy.