boat cover maintenance and protection in Arizona

dlogvine

Master Chief Petty Officer
I leave in Phoenix area in Arizona. My boats and jetski are all stored in ouside storagewith no sun shade or rain cover. After just a year even more expensive boat covers deteriorate and get nonelastic. This sun damage is enhanced by some rains and i have to either patch the covers with a lot of second layers or just change it. It turns out pretty expensive. Is there anything I can do to protect my boat cover from the heat and sun? Tried to wash the cover in a machine, but looks like this causes more damage. Thank you

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
I use this. Keeps the sun and rain off and out of the boat. If you have the space. 1.jpg

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I built a pole shed and keep my stuff inside. Here between the rain and snow, there's too much potential moisture than can be trapped inside a boat stored outside IMO.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
I hate all covers, they all fail, you need a hard roof over it. If that's not an option, then just keep replacing covers.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Not much you can do other than keep it in the shade. The sponsor of the is forum, Eagle, makes a protectant that I applied last year to my Sunbrella mooring cover and has worked great but we don't get the Sun you get in Arizona.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
My only suggestion is to toss a cheap tarp from WallyWorld or HF over the cover. It will keep the sun off and hopefully the cover will last longer.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
My only suggestion is to toss a cheap tarp from WallyWorld or HF over the cover. It will keep the sun off and hopefully the cover will last longer.

This about the best option if a roof can't be done.

Stumpalump

Chief Petty Officer
You bought a biodegradable plastic and vinyl boat I take. Must be your first boat. Lol. Search tarps on our Phoenix craigslist and buy a large billboard cover. They are big enough to cut in half to make a spare but will last for years. You should see the canoes and kayaks that have been left in the sun. You step right thru the bottom. I went all aluminum years ago and have zero maintnence and zero rot. Canoe is an early 80's and boat 1991. No cover, wax or maintnence. I made the leaning post seat to fit two Stearns throwable devise cushions. The straps get tied thru the bottom. 7.97 each at Wally World and as comphy as most nice helm chairs. Check out those old billboard covers. They are dirt cheap and made for the sun unlike your boat. Not sure if we are allowed to link Craig's but here it is:
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/tls/d/large-heavy-duty-billboard/6276778909.html

3582vbs.jpg

Last edited:

dlogvine

You bought a biodegradable plastic and vinyl boat I take. Must be your first boat. Lol. Search tarps on our Phoenix craigslist and buy a large billboard cover. They are big enough to cut in half to make a spare but will last for years. You should see the canoes and kayaks that have been left in the sun. You step right thru the bottom. I went all aluminum years ago and have zero maintnence and zero rot. Canoe is an early 80's and boat 1991. No cover, wax or maintnence. I made the leaning post seat to fit two Stearns throwable devise cushions. The straps get tied thru the bottom. 7.97 each at Wally World and as comphy as most nice helm chairs. Check out those old billboard covers. They are dirt cheap and made for the sun unlike your boat. Not sure if we are allowed to link Craig's but here it is:
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/tls/d/large-heavy-duty-billboard/6276778909.html

3582vbs.jpg

Sorry buddy, but your guess is way off. I have several power boats, that I am repairing now, my own boat 1998 Ebbtide 210 and a jetski. They dont get destroyed by the sun or heat while under cover, however the cover is getting really dry and loses elasticity after just a year or so. The rains are playing a big role in this, water stretches the covers and collects in them, after this sun and heat are finishing the process. I started using the cover supports inside and it helps a little, but the covers still deteriorate.
My boats are all fiberglass and not vinyl, and an open drain plug saves the interior and stringers and the floor from getting destroyed.

bspeth

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I'm in NV and I go through a cover every 2-3 years. I out foam pipe insulation on the windshield frame and rails to keep holes from wearing through. It helps me get a little more life out of them.

thunder550

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Have you tried putting support poles under the covers to keep water from pooling?

dlogvine

Have you tried putting support poles under the covers to keep water from pooling?
Will build a pvc frame to keep the covers tight. Also am thinking about buying the tarp from the signs and putting them over the cover to protect it from the sun.

fishrdan

Admiral
I'm in NV and have a Sunbrella cover that's 5 years old, and it's just starting to show it's age, fabric wise. I sent it back to the factory at 3.5-4 years to have it re-stitched as the thread (stitching) was sunrotting, but I would buy a Sunbrella cover again, well worth the money. Before I was lucky to get 2 years out of a cover, as those covers would have the fabric sunrot before the stitching went bad.

The only mistake I made with the Sunbrella cover was not treating the cover with 303 Fabric Guard, to prolong it's life.

I have a 4" ABS pipe cover support that goes from the windshield to stern, keeps the cover tented and water running off.

dlogvine

I have a roll of sunbrella about 59yards by almost 2 yards wide, will try to make a custom cover... it will be much better than the cheap covers i was getting on ebay, that lasted 6-8 month