Cleaning stained vinyl seats?

Beachbaby

Recruit
We have a Master Craft. It has two toned seats. This boat has been stored in a garage with the cover on it and recently when we uncovered it, the white part of the seat is partially red. It appears that it bled through and we don't know how to get the white clean. The boat is only about 3 years old but the seats appear like it has been sitting out in the sun. Any suggestions on how to get the white clean?

robert graham

Admiral
I'd try a little Clorox and a toothbrush....then rinse off as soon as stain is removed(hopefully).....

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Be careful using Clorox....it will wipe out the threads if it gets on them.

Don't use MagicErasers either as it is abrasive.

409 is what most vinyl manufacturers recommend.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Did you use something that would have made it bleed? Just sitting under a cover that should never happen. Might be a manufacturing issue. That's a new boat basically. I'd like to know if anything so we don't use whatever you did, if you did. I have 2 tone white and blue. Previous owner and myself only used Spray 9 and then Original Armour All. 23 year old boat. Seats look new.

What ever new concoction you try test it first in a inconspicuous area. I've seen some nice new vehicles virtually ruined. Like the young lady I met a car wash in tears. She waxed her car, including black trim and let it bake in the sun.

Last edited:

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
Don't use MagicErasers either as it is abrasive.

Yes it's abrasive, it's basically a piece of sandpaper. I've got stains out of the white vinyl in my SeaRay that a cleaner like 409 wouldn't touch. In fact I've got couple right now I'm going to try to remove with Magic Eraser. Best thing ever for getting tuff stains out of vinyl.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Yes it's abrasive, it's basically a piece of sandpaper. I've got stains out of the white vinyl in my SeaRay that a cleaner like 409 wouldn't touch. In fact I've got couple right now I'm going to try to remove with Magic Eraser. Best thing ever for getting tuff stains out of vinyl.
And your vinyl's top protective layer is then gone. Last resort and then it will stain instantly from then on.

briangcc

Commander
If you purchased the boat new, there should have been cleaning instructions for the vinyl. If you purchased it used, I'd suggest reaching out to Mastercraft and see what they recommend. It's new enough they should be able to assist.

Four Winns had this concoction that I have used with no issues (**This was on my Four Winns so I strongly recommend testing in a small patch first as your mileage may vary with this!!)

(1) teaspoon ammonia
1/4 cup Hydrogen Peroxide
3/4 cup distilled water

Rinse with water and dry....I always used a vinyl conditioner after this as well.

Of Note: They, Four Winns, specifically called out against: Simple Green, Formula 409, Amorall, Son-of-a-Gun, Bleach / Baking Soda, Tar Remover, Fantastik. That being said, I used diluted Simple Green with no ill effects over 12 years of ownership - vinyl still looked like new!

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I think some stains just don't come off short of vinyl-damaging products (e.g., Magic Eraser or other abrasives). I have a rust stain on white vinyl from where the previous owner stored the spare trailer tire on a seat cushion. I have not found anything that will remove that stain.

jkust

Rear Admiral
I can't believe people use the magic erasers. Of course it works like magic on vinyls seats, it's removing a layer of the material. It would be reserved when all else fails on a small spot not a broad seat cleating as folks do so often. Your red spot and spots like it are all over the internet and even for the people who try magic eraser, I don't that think that will remove what you are describing. The thing I see is people using too harsh a chemical and damaging the stitching or the vinyl itself.
I see people recommend some sun on the stain and sometimes they fade for whateverr that is worth.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Of Note: They, Four Winns, specifically called out against: Simple Green, Formula 409, Amorall, Son-of-a-Gun, Bleach / Baking Soda, Tar Remover, Fantastik. That being said, I used diluted Simple Green with no ill effects over 12 years of ownership - vinyl still looked like new!
You are correct about 409. Many vinyl manufacturers say not to use it. The one vinyl I have used had it on their approved list. Fantastik seems to be a popular choice of many of the vinyl people followed by 303 cleaner and protectant.

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
And your vinyl's top protective layer is then gone. Last resort and then it will stain instantly from then on.

I've had that boat for almost 14 years. Never noticed any stains taken off with ME coming back. As with any cleaning product you need to use it with a little common sense and care.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
We have died white vinyl seats restoring cars. When I say we I mean we took it to an upholstery shop and they died them white or any colour that was original. Why not a boat?