Crazy Thinking-14' Ski boat conversion?

Ned L

Commander
Yep,.....As advised above I wouldn't put more than 25, maybeee 30 hp on that light little boat.

It's a nice vintage little boat, it would be a nice rig all cleaned up like new with a vintage 15 hp on it.

But hey,... it's your boat (and your health insurance.)

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
If you want a small go-fast boat, then do it right.
Get or make a hull that is designed for it.
There are lots of design choices, and many available on the market.

For something that small, with that much power, I would go hydroplane.

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
So, update on this. Ended up selling this boat, and got a 14' Jon. Added a console and a 35 hp Evinrude. It planes instantly and is an absolutely killer river boat. Couldn't be more happy with how it turned out.

Attachments

• photo286867.jpg
    photo286867.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

mr 88

Commander
From the angle of the picture it looks like you have a long shaft on a transom designed for a shorty/ Is the Vent plate even with the hulls bottom ?

Ned L

Commander
Nice looking setup. I think you have good reason to be happy.

(If you do have a long shaft engine on s short transom, the worst thing is a tiny less speed. Nothing much to loose sleep over,)

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
That's a short shaft engine(15 inch). It is going to be a rough ride on anything but glass like water. Should do around 30mph

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
It's a short shaft. I need to move the controls back, as I'm only getting 3/4 throttle before it hits the steering console. That said, my father and I went out on a pretty rough day (mid 20 mph winds, wouldn't want it out in any bigger water than that). At 3/4 throttle with 2 big dudes, we were running mid 20s per my GPS app. I'm excited to see what it can do with clean water and full throttle. Not bad considering we have under $800 in everything.