I just completed my "Small engine repair" course at a local Community College.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I just completed my "Small engine repair" course at a local Community College.

I was inspired by many and including those from this forum to learn some marine engine repair. I at the age of 62 decided to take the Small Engine Repair course at the Community College near us, near is 45 minutes away. Not to make money, I just wanted to expand my knowledge, I was surprised to know what I already knew and I am not would I would call combustion inclined, never was, thus the course. It took me about a year off and on. It's never too late. If I was a young person looking for a new career and was a bit mechanically inclined I would recommend a course such as this with the goal to get into Marine mechanics. I have learned that the guys at the Marine and Marinas here are earning about 25% of the hourly rate that the Marinas are charging. Down the road after putting in my time at a Marina and learning I would rent a small shop and hang my shingle and undercut the big guys. This after taking a small business course. I think it is a huge opportunity for someone interested in the Marine business.

edit: I finally finished my Metallurgical degree at 45, never too late.

Last edited:

roffey

Commander
I can say this as we are close to the same age, way to go old man:rockon:

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Thanks Roffey, I am somewhat proud of this old man. I miss typed when I said the guys in a marine repair shop made 25% of the hourly rate, more like 15% to 20% tops. A pals son works at a local marine dealer and he can make almost as much on the weekend at his home than he can working 40 hours at the Marine. We have been trying to talk him into going out on his own for a while now. Not everyone is suited to go it alone. He said the tools alone, especially Merc tools could set him back many thousands. He currently " borrows" them.

ahicks

Captain
RE: the young man,
I would suggest to a young man working as a marine tech, if he knows his stuff, get the word out you're willing to take on side work. If he's worth his salt, it will be no time and he won't have time to "work" for somebody else for pennies on the dollar. Of course there's benefits to working for a dealer to be considered too. Not just health insurance, but liability. If one job gets sideways on him with the wrong kind of customer, he'll find himself in a world of hurt! It's a shame, but I've seen it happen a couple of times, where a guy working on a buddy's car/boat/snowmobile/whatever, gets his hands slapped big time due to some a-hole, usually while trying to do him a favor.

Unfortunately, in small claim court, even regarding stuff where clearly the mechanic is not at fault, the judge will rule in favor of the consumer nearly every time.

Ned L

Commander
Congratulations. Working with engines can be just an enjoyable past time as well.

And good marine mechanics are definately in high demand. .... my brother was a marine diesel mechanic for a major oil company's inland fleet for 20+ years (tugs, barges, etc). Years ago they closed down his port repair facility and he has been working independently since. With nothing but word of mouth he has always had more business than he can handle, picks and chooses his work and routinely turns jobs down.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
suck squish bang blow makes the world go around

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Ditto on the grats! It probably made your mind sharper; and now you can repair your own equipment. I took a HVAC course through CE at a local college several years ago. Everything was free (books; tuition; and a gas card to commute). The bonus was they gave $2500 worth of free tools upon completion of the course. Congrats again.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
RE: the young man,
I would suggest to a young man working as a marine tech, if he knows his stuff, get the word out you're willing to take on side work. If he's worth his salt, it will be no time and he won't have time to "work" for somebody else for pennies on the dollar. Of course there's benefits to working for a dealer to be considered too. Not just health insurance, but liability. If one job gets sideways on him with the wrong kind of customer, he'll find himself in a world of hurt! It's a shame, but I've seen it happen a couple of times, where a guy working on a buddy's car/boat/snowmobile/whatever, gets his hands slapped big time due to some a-hole, usually while trying to do him a favor.

Unfortunately, in small claim court, even regarding stuff where clearly the mechanic is not at fault, the judge will rule in favor of the consumer nearly every time.

Thanks all. you are bang on there ahicks. He is a great marine mechanic but couldn't organize a 2 car funeral or keep track of those 2 cars. He is busier than a 1 arm wall paper hanger doing jobs at home, he will also do house calls for minor issues and electronic installs etc. Many times he will call a customer and tell him the boats all ready to go and the guy comes and it isn't his boat. We all aren't able to be the boss regardless of skills.

Jfscram721

Recruit
I’m Looking Into Purchasing a Boat but It has a Diesel Engine Which I Was Looking For, The Boat is in Mint Condition all Except the Engine is a Cummings Diesel 6BTA with 3,227 Hours is that A lot of Hours For a Marine Engine?

jbcurt00

Staff member
I’m Looking Into Purchasing a Boat but It has a Diesel Engine Which I Was Looking For, The Boat is in Mint Condition all Except the Engine is a Cummings Diesel 6BTA with 3,227 Hours is that A lot of Hours For a Marine Engine?

Start a topic of your own, asking here about your boat questions is considered a hijack

closed

Status
Not open for further replies.