Adding tow rope mount...

gdean7

Seaman
1985 Bayliner Capri Force 125. I was told by the shops that it would cost around $100 to install a tow rope mount on to my boat. Does anyone know if it is an easy thing to do, or would it just be better to go and spend the money on it? I have an outboard motor, so there is no place to put it on the back because the motor takes up the middle back of the boat. Is there a triangle mount I can do to set it up from the sides filtering into one rope? Not sure, any ideas would be appreciated, thanks!

sangerwaker

Commander
Re: Adding tow rope mount...

Either of the tow harnesses on the above link will work fine when attached to the two tow hooks on the stern of the boat. However, a pylon is by far superior for many reasons.<br /><br />First, it will not allow the boat to be pulled from side to side as easily by the skier.<br /><br />Second, it gives the rope an angle upwards, making it much easier to do most anything behind the boat. A beginner skier will really appreciate it because it helps pull them up and out of the water faster, instead of being drug forward. They are especially nice for pulling small children in towables (tubes and such). It helps to keep the rope from dragging in the water and splashing the kids in the face. That tends to scare them in my experience.<br /><br />If your budget allows it, go for the pylon.

MrBill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Adding tow rope mount...

The harnesses or "bridles" are what's commonly used for skiing behind an outboard. You'll also need through transom hardware to connect the bridle to the boat. Use "U" brackets made for that purpose, through the transom. Total cost for hardware and bridle should be about $30 to $50. Pylons, while far superior, particularly as original equipment, take up a lot of space in a small boat, are costly $300-$400, and can be a pain in the keyster to install.