96 Bayliner Ciera 2855

samm835

Chief Petty Officer
I recently purchased a 2855, the boat at one time had a windlass on it. There is a small hole towards the bow starboard, near the front cleat. Its probably as big around as a coke can, will a standard vertical windlass work? It seems odd since its offset from the center of the boat. I have a picture, but its to big to post from phone. Any help would be appreciated, pictures would help me visually see how this will work.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Look here and see if it gives you a clue

https://www.google.com/search?q=2855...w=1360&bih=634

Hard to tell without pics, but the single hole to starboard might have been for a foot switch, so you can operate the windlass from the bow. If the boat had a windlass previously, there should be some clues up there as to where the windlass itself was mounted.

My .02

samm835

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

After looking at some of the pictures on your link, it looks like the hole might be the rope/chain locker only.

Attachments

• photo258770.jpg
    photo258770.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 0

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Sorry, I just don't know what you're talking about.

If it was originally fitted with a horizontal windlass, the hole to the locker would be along the boat's centerline, with the windlass itself oriented to port of the centerline; If it was fitted with a vertical windlass, the right side of the windlass gipsy would be along the boat's centerline (so the rode is pulled straight onto the gipsy). The gipsy then wraps the rode around in a clockwise direction for approximately 180 degrees, and drops it into the locker to PORT of the centerline.

My .02

Last edited: