Steering just went out

Irishevo

Recruit
Steering went out I was getting out of some mud while fishing and once I was loose the steering was really hard to turn the helm so I kinda forced it and heard a pop the helm spun freely but I could not steer the motor. Any help on how to fix would be much appreciated thanks

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

What steering system and motor? Whatever you have, you broke something. Could be the helm, cable or steering swivel in no particular order.

MRS

Commander
Did you look at your steering cable back at the motor?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard.

the mighty Carnac the Magnificent says.....we have no clue what kind of boat you have.

most likely you need a new helm and steering cable assembly. not sure if your using a rotary, rack and pinion or the old wound drum (in that case, maybe just new cables)

Irishevo

Recruit
It's a Johnson 115 out board motor not sure what kind of boat it was flooded out during Katrina got it free.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
It's a Johnson 115 out board motor not sure what kind of boat it was flooded out during Katrina got it free.

you dont know what kind of boat you have now?

did you transfer everything over from the free boat? if so there is what the problem is

if it was flooded out. assume that steering helm and cables, control cables, all wiring, etc are all junk and replace

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... With the tiny bit of info you've offered, I suggest ya get a new helm, 'n cable Kit, 'n replace the whole shebang,...

Irishevo

Recruit
It's the same boat. And motor. Motor runs fine but just steering went out. Don't want to pay a lot ya know

Scott Danforth

Staff member
It's the same boat. And motor. Motor runs fine but just steering went out. Don't want to pay a lot ya know

Then dont own a boat. Boats are expensive.

New helm and cable is about $150