1966 Larson 14'0" aluminum boat serial number location?

Boater #7

Recruit
Can anyone help me locate the serial number on a 1966 Larson 14'0" aluminum boat? I am trying to get the boat registered.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Serial # wont help in most states for registration. States use the Hull Identification Number (HIN~similar to a cars VIN).

HINs didnt get used until Nov 1972, so your boat likely wont have a HIN for registration.

Occasionally, likely in error, a dmv clerk may use the Ser# instead.

I've gotten 2 boats registered w the Ser# instead of a non-existant HIN. Another I registered w a Ser#, the error was caught before official title and registration were issued via mail, and I got a letter and a state issued HIN about a week later w title and registration. On 2 others, the state issued me a HIN plate, didnt use the Ser#. All but 1 of the boats I've had were pre 1972, so no official original HINs on any of them.

I have a mid-60s Larson open utility 14ft semi-vee and dont recall if it still has the Ser# on it anywhere. It came w title and registration, so WV used the same info from the Ohio title, I dont recall what # it has on it or recall having seen any Ser# on the boat anywhere.

Not at home, so I cant check the boat, but I looked up my registration online, it does have the Srr# listed as its HIN: 310882.

Ser# doesnt ID the year or model though. After 1972, a HIN would ID the year, but not the model.

What state are you in? Different states handle registration and titling of old boats differently. Some easy, some difficult. Trailers too. In WV trailers w no VIN are more difficult to deal w then boats w no HIN. So be sure to manage trailer registration and title while dealing w boat.

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
I looked at my Larson tonight, and yep, back right (starboard stern) corner, where a HIN could be found, mines got the Serial# stamped on the hull.
PA-HIN.jpg