How to get started navigating a trip route?

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer
I'll ad one more element,... the water can be calm as glass but a thick fog is THE scariest thing Ive ever been in,....mid 1980's, early morning fishing trip, clear skies inland and along shore,... we got maybe 3-4 miles out off Norwalk Ct and a thick fog set in,... couldnt see 5ft off our bow with no GPS, and no radar at that time, and shipping lanes all around,... it was THE most scariest thing Ive ever encounter. We are not trying to scare you, just giving you all possible scenarios.

jimrockireland

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for all the comments. I'm thinking it's a doable trip with the right precautions. The 2 day trip option is a good one. This will allow trading off hugging the coast when prudent and being a little more daring if conditions permit. The trip is a few months away, but I will post a comment on this thread to report how it all went.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
I've done Rye, NH to Portland and back in a day with many hours of daylight left. See: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10206083448877190&type=1&l=6eea01a996 Very easy trip when the weather is nice. Hampton to Damariscotta, one way, should be about the same distance as my trip. Portland is nice, but you have to pay to dock even just for lunch. We'll be trailering to Bangor and exploring the Penobscot River and Penobscot Bay for a few days next Summer. If you have not done 1000 Islands yet, that place should top your list of trailer-boating destinations. It's like Winnipesaukee times 7 in size, but friendlier in character and at least as pretty.See: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...267.1073741843.1591328395&type=1&l=39c39a0a8b

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I'll ad one more element,... the water can be calm as glass but a thick fog is THE scariest thing Ive ever been in,....mid 1980's, early morning fishing trip, clear skies inland and along shore,... we got maybe 3-4 miles out off Norwalk Ct and a thick fog set in,... couldnt see 5ft off our bow with no GPS, and no radar at that time, and shipping lanes all around,... it was THE most scariest thing Ive ever encounter. We are not trying to scare you, just giving you all possible scenarios.

and then the foghorn of a 200 ft ship that sounds like it is 10 feet away. Yes, scary.

plan, plan, plan.