Hatch not so much a hinge

211libwtfo

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have an 88 liberator 211 and I need to repair the "hinge" on the hatch pad. It's not really a hinge it's a "Z" shaped piece of aluminum but half of the mounting screws are falling out of the fiberglass on the engine side of the hatch. Suggestions and all form of guidance much appreciated. Thanks

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
You can fill the holes with epoxy and re-drill them, also some piano hinges have more screw holes than what were originally used, so put screws in those too.

Through bolting works better if it's an option.

211libwtfo

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have access to an aluminum hinge about 3' long and 4" wide each side. But it's the "z" hinge that has me hesitant. If I put regular hinge in will it fit the same.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
211libwtfo, if you could post a picture or three of your hinge situation, I am positive, with the experts on these forums, they can figure out how to fix it easily. There are so many options that actually seeing what you are dealing with will help narrow down good usable ideas. JMHO

211libwtfo

Petty Officer 1st Class
211libwtfo, if you could post a picture or three of your hinge situation, I am positive, with the experts on these forums, they can figure out how to fix it easily. There are so many options that actually seeing what you are dealing with will help narrow down good usable ideas. JMHO
I have not quite figured out how to post a pic here on my phone.

kmarine

Chief Petty Officer
I have run into this before. Is this a plywood reinforced fiberglass with soft plywood or just that the old screws are not holding in the glass. Easiest is to try larger screws. You can through bolt with nuts on back like suggested previously. If you have soft plywood you can fill with an epoxy like get rot or try some plastic wall anchors. I use these all the time when snaps no longer hold securely on the top side of the gelcoat. I have also wedged in small zip tie plastic pieces into holes to shim them as well.

211libwtfo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Tried to post a pic says file is to big. I'm pretty illiterate to this type of operation. But the screw holes in the glass are whallered out I'll prolly change em to ss bolts and nylok nuts.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Tried to post a pic says file is to big. I'm pretty illiterate to this type of operation. But the screw holes in the glass are whallered out I'll prolly change em to ss bolts and nylok nuts.

​Be sure to put sealer on the bolts, any water getting in will rot the core material if it has it, and the water will leak inside where you do not want it. You can use lifeseal, or 4200, not regular silicone.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
211libwtfo, if you try to upload picture about 400kb in size, they won't upload for being too large. So either resize them or set the camera on the phone to a lower resolution setting. 400kb size will certainly fill out the page on these forums very well with enough clarity for anybody to see and understand. I upload less then 400kb sizes all the time. I am interested in what you are dealing with. JMHO

211libwtfo

Petty Officer 1st Class
YESSSS!!!! There is a hinge up in there and I'm sure I can tig weld some angle onto the other hinges I have

Attachments

• IMG_4855.JPG
    IMG_4855.JPG
    292.5 KB · Views: 0

211libwtfo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey grub being that I'm an electrician by trade, I have incorporated your signature line into my rebuttals soo thank you for that.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Hey grub being that I'm an electrician by trade, I have incorporated your signature line into my rebuttals soo thank you for that.

​No problem 211! I'm a bit electrical myself, ABYC Electrical certified, Got my ABYC masters this last year.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
YESSSS!!!! There is a hinge up in there and I'm sure I can tig weld some angle onto the other hinges I have

Okay now I can see what you are dealing with. So the screws are coming loose on your hinge. The hinge can be cleaned and reused. It look pretty solid from the picture. If you can access the base material under the vinyl, you probably need to remove any rot and go back with new base material, or built it up with some polyester resin and fiberglass. Then you can re-drill the holes and tighten up the screws without any problems. But with the screws coming loose, I bet there is some rot going on there. JMHO

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
If the screws can be tightened at all, I'd prolly just shoot some Gorilla glue in there and tighten them up.

211libwtfo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ah yes thanks I believe I'll clean up the old hinge repair fiber and maybe slide the hinge and bolt it on. Thanks for the help.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Ah yes thanks I believe I'll clean up the old hinge repair fiber and maybe slide the hinge and bolt it on. Thanks for the help.

If the hinge screws won't tighten up, and you know the base material is actually still solid and good, you can always drill new holes for screws to work. Just move the holes to the side of the original ones and you're good to go. But make sure you move them about 1/2" or so. That way you are away from the waddled holes. JMHO