DOES ANY MANUFACTURER MAKE A 13' ALUMINUM FISHING BOAT (GOLDILOCKS)

bobgritz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I currently use a 14' Lund (with 25hp Johny) for commercial clamming here in the Northeast. We go out 365 days a year (weather permitting) and although the sea can get choppy, we pretty much stay in protected waters. Most guys use 14 footers but they usually have 2-3 guys on board. I'm a solo digger and don't need the extra room nor horsepower. The only 13 footer I found is the Alaskan by Starcraft (and/or Smokercraft) but they appear to only sell them with attached flooring which is a hindrance in our business. I cannot get an answer from them if the flooring can be removed without denigrating the integrity of the structure. They seem to charge about $700 for their flooring over the competitively sized Lund (who makes a 12 footer which is actually too small). I hate to sound like a spoiled Goldilocks knockoff but one is too small and one is too big. Twenty years back I used an old 13' Starcraft which was just right (but weighed a ton). I'm just looking for advice about 13 foot models ... please, no advice about 'bigger is better' ... I've had them all and just want a 13 foot boat.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Going to say that you need to see an advertised boat to say if it will work. Dimensions are vague at best and usually misleading. Usually the actual dimension is shorter than what's posted. Then there is the shape of the hull, amenities and all that.

On flooring in the boat I would imagine that it's pop riveted in place. Pop rivets are how Starcraft used to attach their plywood deck to the stringers and all in their alum boats that had floors. Don't know what's used today. Mirrorcraft had some nice utilities. Alumacraft is a really tough boat but the sides are too low for my liking.

Would a John work? Lowe has quite a line of such. I had a "Lake John" once with a wide beam and high sides being only 10' but easily carried 2 and gear; 7 ? Merc put it at a good clip. I regularly duck hunted out of it with room for dekes, all my gear and camo cover and framework. Surely they make one more to your requirements.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Is there something in particular that makes your current rig difficult to use? Seat locations, ???

I'm wondering what going to a foot smaller boat is going to do for you?

Letting us know what is wrong with your current boat may help us to recommend a new boat.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I too have to admit, a peculiar but interesting request. What does your present boat setup do or not do that makes you want another? :noidea:

bobgritz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I guess I tend to pay too much attention to detail, some would refer to as being ... 'blank' retentive. Since I need to go out almost every day I place a high priority on my boating experience, both from a pleasurable ride to a safe journey. I'm sure most people who travel everyday (on pavement) consider their car or truck important and I would hope that if you truly (truly) enjoy driving you chose your vehicle carefully, right down to its length, width, accessories, safety requirements, etc. A 14' or 16' boat is ideal for lugging 2-3 guys around but as earlier stated, I'm a loner. Sure, I can live with my 14' Lund but to me it's like clomping around in a pair of shoes that are one size to large or driving a Tundra when all you need is a Tacoma (I'm sure there are better analogies but those come to mind). I just don't need the extra room!

Starcraft (and their Smokercraft line) makes a 12, a 13, and a 14 foot version of their 'Alaskan' aluminum boat so I feel confident that I am not alone in my retentive behavior and that there's a niche out there with similar thinking. I could pull the flooring out of an Alaskan 13 footer but like Texasmark stated, the floors are riveted in and I suspect this gives the overall boat its stability (in lieu of other forms of bracketing). Texasmark, thanks for the idea of a Jonboat but that would be pushing the envelope since I need to go out in moderate ocean conditions.A flatbottom, when the waves pick up, is less than pleasurable or safe. On a lake they are great.

My ideal boat would be 13' long, have a deep V-hull with a moderate beam. I had a 12 footer for several years and now a 14 footer but they just don't cut it. Short of having my dreamboat custom built, I'll likely continue to plod along in my oversize shoes ... uh, boat.

Thanks to all.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
ok,makes sense.

How could you make use of that extra space?
A dog? No, a parrot !! Then you would have a pirate boat.

Maybe keep a look out for a used Gregor boat, they made a 13'er.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
I guess I tend to pay too much attention to detail, some would refer to as being ... 'blank' retentive. Since I need to go out almost every day I place a high priority on my boating experience, both from a pleasurable ride to a safe journey. I'm sure most people who travel everyday (on pavement) consider their car or truck important and I would hope that if you truly (truly) enjoy driving you chose your vehicle carefully, right down to its length, width, accessories, safety requirements, etc. A 14' or 16' boat is ideal for lugging 2-3 guys around but as earlier stated, I'm a loner. Sure, I can live with my 14' Lund but to me it's like clomping around in a pair of shoes that are one size to large or driving a Tundra when all you need is a Tacoma (I'm sure there are better analogies but those come to mind). I just don't need the extra room!

Starcraft (and their Smokercraft line) makes a 12, a 13, and a 14 foot version of their 'Alaskan' aluminum boat so I feel confident that I am not alone in my retentive behavior and that there's a niche out there with similar thinking. I could pull the flooring out of an Alaskan 13 footer but like Texasmark stated, the floors are riveted in and I suspect this gives the overall boat its stability (in lieu of other forms of bracketing). Texasmark, thanks for the idea of a Jonboat but that would be pushing the envelope since I need to go out in moderate ocean conditions.A flatbottom, when the waves pick up, is less than pleasurable or safe. On a lake they are great.

My ideal boat would be 13' long, have a deep V-hull with a moderate beam. I had a 12 footer for several years and now a 14 footer but they just don't cut it. Short of having my dreamboat custom built, I'll likely continue to plod along in my oversize shoes ... uh, boat.

Thanks to all.

Wouldn't recommend the John under your operating conditions.

bobgritz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey Roscoe ... thank you for your ill-conceived, ill-advised and ill-informed advice. We ('clammers' / see orignal post) head out to sea when you and most everyone else are calling it a day! We embark 2-3 hours prior to low tide and remain until 2-3 hours after low tide. We're not navigating the high seas rather the shallow channels and creeks where the water depth is anywhere from 0-2 feet and where running aground is a daily occurrence. Draft is a critical component of our business and any advantage we can muster is huge so size does matter. Ideally we would prefer Jon boats (or even everglade boats) but when it's 10 degrees out there and the winds suddenly ramp up to 30 knots (and we're on the opposite side of the bay) we need deep V-hulls. Like I said, I can certainly live with my 14 footer but if there's a comparably sized 13 footer with comparable depth and breadth ... I would welcome constructive advice. Roscoe, in case you missed my original post I included the last line for respondents such as yourself, namely: "please, no advice about 'bigger is better' ... I've had them all and just want a 13 foot boat."