Trim Tabs-Electric vs hydraulic?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
This is for an Aluminum 26' Hewescraft. What are the opinions on which are best. This is a trailered boat (not moored) that operates exclusively in sea water. Also, would you go with aluminum tabs or stainless steel?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Purely anecdotal non-informed opinion here...........but my Hyra-Sports came with a set of Lenco's and neither of them work. The motors are super expensive. Granted they are from '02 but there ya have it. My tabs are stainless and they look flawless. Lucky for me they are stuck in the position that doesn't effect the boat, I'd someday like to get them repaired.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Couldn't pay me to install eletcally actuated tabs.

Twenty miles out and my buddies port trim actuator failed while deployed. His second since installation. No way to retract. Not good.

Had we lost hydraulic power, we could have "cracked" the line running to the tab to retract.

Nothing aluminum on a "SW " boat unless your a masochist. It all ends the same. White power corrison, "chicken pox" and peeling paint...

Tabman

iboats.com Partner
We make both hydraulic and electric Trim Tabs, and we have a lifetime warranty on the actuators for both systems. Both have advantages and disadvantages, dingbat brings up a particularly good advantage for hydraulics.

I would stick with stainless trim planes.

Tom McGow
Bennett Marine

b.gagnon

Master Chief Petty Officer
I have owned both and used them only in salt......... I choose Electric.
They tend to respond faster (Lenco). My old boat had them, and in 5yrs I never had a problem with them. My current boat has hydraulic and I hate how slow they react... When they break I am going back to electric and I will probably go with Bennett. Their customer service is very good if you ever have a problem.