Anchor for a canoe

esox07

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That looks awesome, but supposedly they don't work good in anything but sand. The rivers and streams around here have a lot of rock.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
On a rock bottom, those grappling anchors look like they'd work well. Shouldn't need a very big one for a canoe. It's too bad they don't have some thing rubber-coated so you wouldn't have a galvanized metal anchor clanking around in the canoe.

The Cooper anchors that kjust mentioned look interesting, too, but I couldn't find anything about how they would work in rocky areas. (They look like they'd be ideal for our river boating on the Mississippi and Illinois rivers, though, where the bottom is muddy and current is swift!)

Bondo

Staff member
On a rock bottom, those grappling anchors look like they'd work well. Shouldn't need a very big one for a canoe. It's too bad they don't have some thing rubber-coated so you wouldn't have a galvanized metal anchor clanking around in the canoe.

Ayuh,.... The smallest or 2nd smallest of those would be a nice size for a canoe,....
Dipped or painted with "Dip-it" tool handle coating will quiet it down in the boat,...
Wrapped with line, 'n stuffed into a bag would be even better,....
The draw-back is gonna be loosin' it when it gets hung up in the rocks,...

Back before I bought my ole tinbarge, I did Alota canoe fishin',...
The only "Anchor" I carried was a big 2" / 3" spring clamp like a cabinet maker would use, to grab a branch along the shore,...
If I was gonna need an open water anchor, I'd grab a brick, or concrete block, or convenient rock, something I didn't care when I lost it,...
Never something I "Bought",....

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... The little foldin' 1s, from iboats,...

The 1s in yer walmart link are to big, 'n bulky for a canoe,....