Replace carpet snaps with Velcro?

youmansjason

Seaman
It seems to be a common problem that as snap-in carpet gets older, the snaps pull through the carpet. Mine are doing exactly that.

Rather than replacing the snaps and making more holes in the floor and in the carpet, has anyone tried using adhesive backed Velcro? Seems like you could stick a square to the floor and a square to the back of the carpet and press them together.

Anyone had any experience with this? Any other ideas?

harleyman1975

Ensign
My thought would be to stick with snaps. the glue will soften on warm days and not do the job. maintain your snaps (vasaline and a q-tip) and they will work better.

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
I don't see why the Velcro wouldn't work as long as you keep the boat covered. The adhesive won't stick of it is always wet or submerged. Go for it is my opinion.

vans

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My carpet backing is starting to deteriorate, and a couple snaps are starting to pull through as yours, I sprayed backing with Flex-Seal, the stuff from TV adds that they seal gutters etc. That actually worked
I like your Velcro idea although that means carpet stays in all the time, I would imagine exposed Velcro would be a magnet for junk to pile up
But we chose not to even bother with carpet, makes clean up a bit easier
or replace
http://www.snapincarpet.com/index.cfm