Pontoon boat for traveling parts of the 'Great loop"?

bansil

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Greetings,

Have been lurking and reading and finally posted today

The rivers of our country have been a dream of mine since I first started reading adventure books, 48 years later it is still a dream

I told my wife 16 years ago I had a dream to travel on the rivers when I turned 50...time flies

I was looking at getting a pontoon boat for the lakes around where we live (have 3 very close) and then use it for part of my river adventure

I am thinking about picking up a twin tube locally (very cheap) adding a third tube and extending transom and then build an alum tubing and clad 12' shelter w/deck for sun bathing, and extend the front of roof 10' (kind of like a covered carport with open sides and roof will not be load bearing, it will be hinged at roof so it can be lowered in front to create an "air foil" for towing)

All the searching on the Great loop keeps showing up cuddies/trawlers and sail boats

Why the pontoon "hate"?

roffey

Commander
Greetings,

Why the pontoon "hate"?

Hey Bansil, welcome aboard.

I don't think you will find haters here, LOL. I think what you will get is a lot of boaters who are willing to assist as much as needed. Why not purchase a toon that has most of the things your looking for. Seems like there would be a lot of redesign in what you plan on doing.

bansil

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey Bansil, welcome aboard.

I don't think you will find haters here, LOL. I think what you will get is a lot of boaters who are willing to assist as much as needed. Why not purchase a toon that has most of the things your looking for. Seems like there would be a lot of redesign in what you plan on doing.
Thank you, I wasn't referencing this site with that, it was more tongue in cheek...should of used this with it :p or this :peep:

Again, thank you for the welcome and I have found some good reads on here and look forward to a build thread sometime and share

harleyman1975

Ensign
I think part of the deal is that with a toon you are very close to the water and there is going to be some big waves encountered in the main channel around the barges.