Cuddy cabin with an Outboard?

zul

Petty Officer 1st Class
They make all kinds of boats, shapes and sizes. I've owned two boats in my adult years and we are wishing that we had purchased a cuddy last time around (chose open bow)... I've always been partial to outboards and would love to own a 150-200 hp 4-stroke.

Do they make a cuddy with an outboard?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Bilgliner made a few. Most of them not big enough to sleep in. A cuddy under 24' Will be cramped

airshot

Rear Admiral
Can't speak for new boats, but I have an older StarCraft Islander and absolutely love the boat. It is a 22' cuddy and plenty of fishing room, we typically just use the cuddy for the pota potty and storage as it is no fun to ride down there. I do know that Starcrat and their cousin Sylvan made cuddies with both I/O and outboard versions. The I/O version was more popular as less cost and better fuel economy in the day. The OB versions are out there but scarce...I have saw a few on the water but none for sale in my area. Being an aluminum hull the older models are not that difficult to do a complete resto.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Airshot have seen a couple around here also with 140hp rude or johnnys usually.I believe the islanders with the outboards are highly sought after now.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
mine is more than a cuddy but not a 'cruiser' best of both worlds. I'm 5' 11" and can stand tall.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
There is a 20 or so foot Chris Craft with a 150 Yamaha outboard at our marina. I've never seen one other than it. Wish I could remember the model.

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
Most of the NEW Cuddy Cabin boats your going to find are mainly FISHING rigs. Cuddy Cabin users are a niche crowd. Many dealers don't want them as they can't sell them. I had a 2000 Bayliner Capri Cuddy 1802 with a 90Hp Merc. It had the full camper enclosure, owned it for 9 years, Great little boat, the wife and I slept in the cuddy more than a few times on overnite trips, we stayed at marina's with shower and bathroom facilities. I slept in it on overnite fishing trips my self many times. Finding a good used Cuddy with a O/B will take some time. Year 2000 and UP Prolines and Bayliner Trophies O/B's bring serious money. As some have mentioned Look for a decent Starcraft/Sylvan Pocket Cruiser(Islander) O/B and do a complete rehab. Remove the motor as most are JUNK and replace with a NEW/NEWER O/B. I would stay away from any I/O's as they become older they are a maintenance PITA....Just my 2cts

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Yes there are many Bayliner cuddy's with O/B's. Capri models there are many. I Googled cuddy outboards and there are some neat old Chris Crafts as well as older woodeys that are just beautiful.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
^^or old boats with old outboards. I had a '54 Trojan 20' cruiser for a number of years, with a period 35. Plywood hull and pretty easy restoration and maintenance.

Another option is to look for an I/O hull that you like and convert it to an outboard with a bracket, but there are outboard cuddies out there. Grady-White made a good one.