how come new boats don't come with Hydraulic steering automatically?

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Hmm. I've owned 2 3.0L 19ft boats and my inlaws had 3 different 18-19ft I/O's with 4.3 or 5.7's and not a one of them had power steering. They were all used for skiing and even my wife could keyhole turn them at 32MPH with one finger.

In any event, I missed that the guy was talking about outboards.

Although it has been beat to death, Every I/O of that timeframe with a 4.3 or a 5.7 came with power steering standard. They were NOT hydraulic, they were standard cable, but they all connected to a hydraulic power steering assist. (only for I/O's, inboards often didn't have power steering. The rudder is counter balanced so no need for power steering, water does the work.)

Old Ironmaker

Captain
​Well, it was working beautifully in 2014 after my initial install, so not sure what I did wrong. Can you somehow show me with a picture or watch my cable install videos so I know what I did wrong. The second time after I cleaned it, it was working for a few trips not more than 5 and started to bind again. I thought it was the rust that caused the binding every few months.

I will PM you with a thought, don't want to hi jack thread.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I realized after sending the PM you are the original poster so I wasn't hi jacking the thread. I can't seem to cut and paste the text from the PM. For others I basically said the rod and sleeve may not have been cleaned well and pre greased before installation, the sleeve or rod or both has a large scratch or burr or maybe the rod was bent when installing it.

I can't find you video amongst the other how to videos you made.

Last edited:

ib18

Chief Petty Officer
Wow, thanks for this long PM. Yes, you guessed it correctly. 2016, I got pretty impatient and pissed so I tried pulling my cable without removing my motor first. So, the cable was somewhat bent for 1. For 2, silly me also tried to yank my steering wheel so hard to try to break loose the bind on the motor side. So, I broke some teeth in the helm side. I finally took the motor off and cleaned it. It worked ok for a few more trips but started to bind again. As I was putting the motor back I did notice the cable was bent.

​I still think my tube (or sleeve as you called it) was rusted and salt got into it even though I washed the tube down after every trip, so it caused my binding after I cleaned it in 2014.

​If I have to do it again, I would simply buy a tilt tube and replace the rusted tube out of the motor.

​or do what the Boston whaler guy did with the cable locked (attached) to the pivot rod on the motor and avoid sliding it through the rusted tilt tube.

I brought up your post regarding the stiff steering after installing a brand new cable at our shop today. A pal bought a huge shop and it is our hangout for all of us that have boats. 10 boats amongst the 6 of us. The owner Johnny has bought no less than another 15 to work on and flip. I am not sure what you mean by "tilt tube"? Cable sleeve is what we refer to where the stainless steel shaft inserts to connect the cable to the outboard.

What the consensuses is came down to a few things. 1) the sleeve that the shaft has a burr or more than 1 burr or good size scratch in it. This would cause a new cable to bund.

2) the shaft has a good size scratch etc that will cause binding

3) The shaft was slightly bent when you installed it, It will bind for certain if the shaft has a slight bend 100% for certain. Not hard to do when fighting the thing.

4) Did you clean out the sleeve with a wire brush really well before you inserted the new shaft?

5) Did you clean off the new shaft and grease it well before inserting it, also did you grease the inside of the sleeve before you put the shaft in?

We would disconnect the cable from the sleeve (tube) and remove and inspect it for the things I mention above. I know I had a hell of a time getting in the new cable into the sleeve without removing the outboard because there wasn't enough room making the 90 degree turn from the gunnel to line up the shaft. We made it by 1/4 inch, tight. I cut away some aluminum where the boot is. I am assuming that you have a rotary or rack and pinion type steering.

How did you get the shaft (tube) and rod lined up?

ib18

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

Attachments

• photo255548.jpg
    photo255548.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 0

Old Ironmaker

Captain
ib18,

Yep a bent or kinked cable will certainly make steering stiff. That is so obvious I didn't even mention it. Usually the obvious thing is the answer, perfect example. A lesson for me. The instructions that comes with replacement cable, rack and pinion says whatever you do don't put a kink in the cable. Change the cable rack and pinion and your problem is solved. You don't need Hydraulic steering. If your tube is corroded yes change it. make sure it has a grease nipple with it or install one before you install it. We don't have salt to deal with thankfully. You have plenty of experience changing a cable now. Lucky a replacement cable isn't expensive. You could have got away with regular rack and pinion, hydraulic wasn't necessary for a 90 out board.

I just watched your video for installing hydraulic steering on your boat. You connected everything at the engine then ran the cable to the helm. Start at the helm. If the cable is short you will need to disconnect everything. Keep up the good work.

Last edited:

ib18

Chief Petty Officer
ib18,

Yep a bent or kinked cable will certainly make steering stiff. That is so obvious I didn't even mention it. Usually the obvious thing is the answer, perfect example. A lesson for me. The instructions that comes with replacement cable, rack and pinion says whatever you do don't put a kink in the cable. Change the cable rack and pinion and your problem is solved. You don't need Hydraulic steering. If your tube is corroded yes change it. make sure it has a grease nipple with it or install one before you install it. We don't have salt to deal with thankfully. You have plenty of experience changing a cable now. Lucky a replacement cable isn't expensive. You could have got away with regular rack and pinion, hydraulic wasn't necessary for a 90 out board.

I just watched your video for installing hydraulic steering on your boat. You connected everything at the engine then ran the cable to the helm. Start at the helm. If the cable is short you will need to disconnect everything. Keep up the good work.

​Thanks for the encouragement. Not too many people have these Johnson OLDIES. I was asked by the DC police how old is my boat and motor. He exclaimed that I have a REAL classic - LOL. Ya, I am going to run this motor as long as I could. So far so good. It idles well and speed up well, but you never know so fingers crossed for this classic motor.
Ran into a guy who had a 1994 died on him, and he replaced it with a brand new Mercury 90 hp. That said, did run into another guy who had a 1986 Johnson 90 VRO who used the steering setup in the picture. He had to change both his power packs and fuel pump.