New boat

Manta1

Recruit
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and would like to ask you if you've had any experience with stingray boats. I'm planning to buy a new stingray 198lx for next summer and it would be my 2nd boat (1st new sport boat). I realize that the build quality doesn't seem very good, and clearly below some bigger brands (nautique, mastercraft, four winns etc). Have you had any bad experience with this manufacturer?
It would come with a mer 220hp and i would like to start practicing wakeboard. I think it would be a good start but not specifically made for this. I'm also wondering if wake surfing is possible with a boat like this.
I would appreciate your input.

oldjeep

Admiral
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and would like to ask you if you've had any experience with stingray boats. I'm planning to buy a new stingray 198lx for next summer and it would be my 2nd boat (1st new sport boat). I realize that the build quality doesn't seem very good, and clearly below some bigger brands (nautique, mastercraft, four winns etc). Have you had any bad experience with this manufacturer?
It would come with a mer 220hp and i would like to start practicing wakeboard. I think it would be a good start but not specifically made for this. I'm also wondering if wake surfing is possible with a boat like this.

Couple things
1) Decent enough boats
2) You are mixing up a few different kinds of boats - Nautique/Mastercraft are inboard tow boats, 4Winns and stingray are I/O runabouts.
3) Wakeboarding is fine behind an I/O - you likely want a tower to get the rope up
4) No, you cannot wakesurf behind an I/O - except the new Penta forward drives

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer

Welcome! I have heard that stingrays are a "good enough -and does the job" type of brand. From previous experience they do not ride very well in rough water so if boating in rough water I would look to a boat with a deeper V hull. Lastly, I find it amazing how fast some of those stingrays go. So if you want fast in a bowrider with not too much hp that's the boat you want.

jkust

Rear Admiral
I second the comparison of Wake Sport boats and Bowriders as they just aren't comparable given they are a completely different class of boat. There's a few Stingrays on my lake, they are just fine for the price point. They are fast of course because of the hull design and to some extent their lighter weight. That's their schtick....fast boat, low cost versus premium brands that provide things that some people may not care about. Since all engines are the same as in a Mercruiser is a Mercruiser, it makes the comparison somewhat easier. The Stingrays on my lake tend to get complaints by the owners of a rough ride.
As a practical person, I would buy a used premium brand that provides a substantially better product with additional features for less than the new Stingray. That may be easier said than done but that's the world of used boats and of course I realize that there could be financing implications on used boats as well making a used boat harder to get into than a new boat.

NHGuy

Captain
So...to continue. If you are on a bigger choppier body of water. get a heavier boat with a deeper vee. Or get a tow boat with ballast bags to wake surf or do aerial wakeboarding. The Stingrays have a shallower vee and lower weight. It makes them fast in smooth water, but bumpy when it's rough.

oldjeep

Admiral
If he is mainly wanting to wakeboard then the rough ride won't matter since he'll be at plowing speed not planning speed.

R055

Chief Petty Officer
If he is mainly wanting to wakeboard then the rough ride won't matter since he'll be at plowing speed not planning speed.

Most wakeboarding is 18-23mph, isn't that planing speed on most boats? If it's choppy the the boat won't matter because wakeboarding behind anything in choppy water sucks.

oldjeep

Admiral
Most wakeboarding is 18-23mph, isn't that planing speed on most boats? If it's choppy the the boat won't matter because wakeboarding behind anything in choppy water sucks.

It isn't if you have them weighted properly. Awful hard to do much wakeboarding behind a planed boat unless you like smooth water and no wake.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
18 to 23 MPH isn't most planning speeds on most boats, depending on the boat. Like asking how long is a rope. My 19 foot deep V fishing/pleasure bowrider planes out at 28 to 32 MPH with my 115 Mariner, kicker and all the crap I bring along with 3 former over wei:llama:ght Football players. Wow I just added it up. I'm the lightest at 220 and Big Show is 375, Groundy goes at 240. Not bad speed really.

Hey my very 1st emoggecon things ever. How fitting, arses the size of an emogge thingy.

Last edited: