Pedestal seat ?

St3v3np

Seaman Apprentice
Ok so told you all about the bow mount trolling motor i got. mounted it the other day. problem is im sitting two low for the foot controls so im going to have to put a seat on a pedestal mid boat. My ? Is on a 12 ft aluminum boat me being 230 lbs is it safe dont want my fat ***** tipping it over lol

gm280

Supreme Mariner
When you say you are too low for the foot control operation, do you have room to move the foot control section forward so your knees are not hitting your face to control it? Any time you raise your seat, the C/G works against the stability of the boat. In other words it get tipsy. So there is a compromise between height and being able to fish without problems. If you could build an angled plate for the foot control to rest against, maybe you could use something like that to allow control without rasing the seat. :noidea:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
The TM must be one of the stiff cable type with the push pull cables. You have to be close to the motor and above to be able to turn it. But they turn a whole bunch easier when deployed in water. I had a SeaNymph Jon boat with a push pull type TM on the bow and I too had to add some height to my seating to be able to run it comfortably.

Just don't go doing any sudden movements or crazy hook setting. :lol:

St3v3np

Seaman Apprentice
Yes it is a push pull type its an old mercury motor and o its as far forword as i can get it i ll look into making a plate. Not really all that great at fabrication any ideas would be great thanks

Watermann

You can add a few things like a clamp on seat bracket.

Clamp-on-Boat-Seat-Hardware-02663305496_image1__73722.1384560001.220.290.jpg

Put a swivel on top of one of these.

41ZvOc15M8L._AC_UL320_SR264,320_.jpg

Then of course add your seat on top.

St3v3np

Seaman Apprentice
I bought an ajustable pedestal but i think its going to b too high i ll take it back and get the shorter non adjustable one it was o ly like 5 inches

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I bought an ajustable pedestal but i think its going to b too high i ll take it back and get the shorter non adjustable one it was o ly like 5 inches

Before you go for any permanent changes, stack a box or something that can handle the load and sit high while on the water to see if both you can control the foot control unit and see how tipsy the boat will be. You can even make a little wood structure for that test. With a short 12' boat, it can get iffy real quick. JMHO

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
On a 12 foot boat, have you considered a bow mount tiller steer. No cables and the tillers on most are extendable so it would be in easy reach. Actually, on that size boat, I would prefer a stern mount tiller. Been there and done that.

St3v3np

Seaman Apprentice
Im trying to keep as much weight off the back of the boat as possable 230 lbs plus the outboard plus the gas tank makes it ride pretty low in the water anyone have any experiance with davis rocker stoppers will those do the trick

Watermann

Wouldn't those stoppers pull down on the boat, could be a problem on such a small craft if a big boat wake comes along.

St3v3np

Seaman Apprentice
Idk there supposed to stop the boat from rocking there made out of plastic