Which boat to keep & restore

I have a small Motor Sports Business I started just over a year ago. I have taken 3 boats on trade and would like to keep one and restore it. Of course I should keep the most desireable, but not sure which one that might be. 1st is 1983 Glassmaster runs good 4 cylinder, faded but interior good. 2nd 1993 Sunbird with 5.0 cobra v-8, fair shape needs a starter. 3rd 1973 Glastron Carlson cv16 ss, faded, seats needs upholstered, engine looks clean, runs but have not had in the water. Boats are new to me I have very near the same amount in all around the $2000 area. I do really like the looks of the 73 cv 16, but the 5.0 v-8 sounds good, and the glasstron does run well. Which boat would you keep ?

Jarcher3

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I would say the sunbird. with the V8 that would be nice. What motor is on the cv16?

are all of the boats solid under deck?

finally Pics??

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... OMC sterndrives have been obsolete for over 2 decades now, parts are gettin' harder to find,....
'n sunbirds are a poorly built entry level hull,...

Ya don't say what the other hulls are powered by,....

jbcurt00

Staff member
None are going to be much of a profit maker, rehab the one YOU like and use it.

After a 100% rehab, you'll have a nice boat that will have cost you a good bit of time, but significantly less money then a new or even 5yr old boat.

All are more then 20yrs old and probably need a much more thorough inspection then you might think.

Fiberglass can hid some fairly nasty stuff.

Post pix when you can:
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/forum-rules-and-guidelines/9938375-photo-upload-tutorial

Old Ironmaker

Captain
If you are looking at the best return on your investment the 73' returned to original condition may draw the most interest as a buyer may look at it as a classic boat. ROI is all dependent on what it will take to get any one of these boats to good running condition and appearance. As a general rule there isn't much meat left on the bone after restoring boats to flip if that's your intention.

If you are going to use as your own toy I personally might want the 73' Glastron for myself. Post some pics once you have enough posts on the Forum. As everyone keeps saying it all "condition, condition, condition" when talking used boats.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Welcome aboard Randall :wave:

Old glass boats normally have been neglected for many years and will have serious issues with structural integrity due to stringer, deck and transom rot. You should expect that any of the above old glass boats will need a complete rehab to be safe on the water.

The most sought after of the 3 IMO would be the Glastron Carlson. Knowing what it has for a driveline would help too and of course some pics.

savetexomabeaches

Chief Petty Officer
Keep the carlson all the way.. Flip the sunbird as quick as you can, and for any dollar amount you can.. Give it away if you have to lol Keep the glassmaster as your own, tool around on the water with it, but restore that carlson and you'll have a super awesome boat, or a boat that will bring in the most profit if you sell it. The CV16s were used in the James Bond movies and in Jaws if my memory serves me correctly.

Last edited:

Tnstratofam

Commander
I would keep the Glastron Carlson so long as it doesn't have an OMC Stringer Drive.

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
Here's a CV16 SS Shipwreck Boat works had displayed at the Minneapolis boat show a few years back. They did an amazing job restoring the boat.

I wouldn't want one of these because personally I prefer the CVX stye Carlson. Plus it's too small, don't care for the seating and the fact that you can't get back in it when it's in the water is a total show stopper for me. All the metalflake in the world can't fix that!....LOL

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
The CV16s were used in the James Bond movies

Ayuh,.... I maybe wrong, but I thought the Bond boat was the GT-150,..??......

au036-glastron-gt-150-live-and-let-die.jpg

After reading all your post ( Thank you ) I have decided to keep the Carlson, I spoke further with the previous owner who I found out has had boats all of his life and the Carlson for many years he had purchased a new bigger boat and several other nice toys due to space in the garage got rid of the boat or as he put it "had to let it go" the was put in the water every he had it up until 2015. he had recently placed the wood, put in new carpet. I looked on line and started following the restore paint video, you can now see yourself in it, it is amazing. The boat is identical to the 1973 GlastronCarlson CV 16 SS posted above by Blind Date and those metal flake are big and definitely green. The good part is the lakes in my area are relatively small, I am 58 five foot eight inches 120 pnds, the old lady is four foot ten p5 pds. I will post pictures, of the boat that is. Thanks again for giving me your thinking ! Randy

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Ayuh,.... I maybe wrong, but I thought the Bond boat was the GT-150,..??......

au036-glastron-gt-150-live-and-let-die.jpg

I understand that they bought something like 15 of those boats for that 007 shoot. Didn't say how many they tore up getting the shot.

On which hull, Glastron came out of Austin, TX. and were manufactured there back in the 60's when I lived there. Lots of money in the Austin area and lots of lakes. Lots of Glastrons on the water. They were an upper cut boat for the most part.

President LBJ had a ranch NW of Austin and up the Colorado river string of lakes was Lake Marble Falls which was renamed Lake LBJ. This response has to do with the boat, not the then POTUS!

POTUS had Glastron build him a specially powered 20' mono hull, either light green or gold, don't remember, with the Chev 454 that he loved and used frequently. One of his favorite pastimes was outrunning the secret service as they didn't have the 454 in their chase boat and that's what it did as the only time it could catch up was at the dock.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Update on the James Bond "Live and Let Die" film Glastron GT-150s used in the jump in Louisiana: http://www.classicglastron.com/bondposter.htm

Further www surfing on the engine proved to be one each 1973 Evinrude Starflite 135 hp (SAE net, not prop rated till around 1985 as the story goes on OMC). Amazing one Evinrude survided 17 crashes that netted boat damage and apparently one final shoot that worked the first time. Seems a guy found it and bought it...per the www. I noticed it had the OMC SST (Stainless Steel Teflon...coated) prop that came out that year which I bought for my engine of the time:

I had a 1972 Johnson 125 with the same engine at lower hp and it never had a problem of any kind for as long as I had it, but I didn't go around smashing it into levees and jumping it 110 feet for a world record. The SST never got a ding whereas that engine would tear up an alum on most every outing. Taking the prop to the shop during Monday's lunch break got to be a regular occurrence around my house.

Last edited:

82rude

Rear Admiral
Sherrif JW Pepper was a hoot in the 2 bonds he did.Expecially the man with the golden gun.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Sherrif JW Pepper was a hoot in the 2 bonds he did.Expecially the man with the golden gun.

I couldn't help think of Sheriff Buford T. Justice and "Bandit" when I saw that. 1972 Chevys aren't they?