Do i need or not need a boat license for new jersey waters

bimmernj

Cadet
I have a sun dolphin pro 120 boat rated 15hp i do have a 15hp outboard do i need a boat license for nj ,hudson river waters? Its 11 feet 3 inches!

Ned L

Commander
This from an NJ site.

A boat license and New Jersey Boat Safety Certificate are required to operate a power vessel or personal watercraft - jet ski or waverunner - on non-tidal waters of New Jersey. A boat license is not required for non-powered vessels.

tpenfield

Staff member
Is the fact that the boat is less than 12 feet the source of confusion? 12 feet or more requires title, but all powered boats require registration.

You can Google that.

bimmernj

Cadet
How am i supposed to register a boat if i paid cash from a guy on cl!?tpenfield!

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Cash, check, money order or barter, the seller needs to give the buyer the proper paperwork. Without papers, your boat is merely a lawn decoration.

You've gotten some real good advice so far. People have looked up the regs for you. Best thing for you to do now is make a personal visit to your local Motor Vehicle department and get the straight dope from them...

tpenfield

Staff member
How am i supposed to register a boat if i paid cash from a guy on cl!?tpenfield!

You have received good advice and help from myself and others on this forum. So, you have to understand what you need, and it sounds like you will have to retrace some of your steps and get sufficient documentation in order to register your boat that you paid cash for on CL.

shrew

Lieutenant
http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Vehicle/VehicleBoats.htm

If you need to register a boat 12 feet or less in length (including jet skis and other non-titled watercrafts)
  • Visit your local MVC Agency and bring the title and acceptable proof of age and identification. Complete the application for boat registration (form BA-51) and pay the required registration fee
  • You must bring:
    • At least one proof of ownership
    • A notarized bill of sale
    • A notarized statement of receipt from the seller
    • An out-of-state certificate of ownership and registration certificate
    • A certificate of ownership by sworn affidavit (before a New Jersey notary public)
    • Proof of Social Security number or proof of exemption
    • Your driver license number (If you don't have a New Jersey driver license, a number will be created for you.)
  • For more information contact:

Motor Vehicle Commission
    Customer Advocacy Office
    P.O. Box 403
    Trenton, New Jersey 08666-0403

dennis461

Chief Petty Officer
If you are not a NJ boater, or do not know the rules, don't chime in.
In NJ, if you BUY a boat without a NJ Motor Vehicle Department registration and title, you are out of luck.

Yes, the state publishes a method for getting a registration only for a short boat, but it[s harder than pulling your own teeth.

As for taking the helm of a power boat, you need to have passed the Safe Boating course, offered by AAA in many NJ areas.

Last edited by a moderator: