Brand New To Boating!

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Hello all!

I just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. My name is Joe and I am in the process of buying my first EVER boat. I found what I believe to be a really good deal on a 1967 Cruisers Inc 16' fiberglass bowrider. It includes the trailer and 1972 50hp Johnson outboard. Now, Considering the hull is remarkably in good shape for a '67 (some crazing, but minimal, no major nicks etc..), pulled up and down on motor and transom seemed solid. Tapped it with a screwdriver and it didn't sound hollow or thuddy, and the trailer is in very good shape, that alone was worth what I am spending on it. (very short money).

The engine? Well, it looks good for a '72. There was no gas to start it, but it cranked so it isn't seized. First thing I'm going to do when I get it home is compression and spark tests, then go over with fine tooth comb. My philosophy is that even if the engine is junk, I can part it out and probably make back what I paid for the whole package. Then buy a decent used engine.

I found the iboats forum AFTER I put deposit on this deal, but I can say I asked many questions of the seller and he answered without hesitation and honestly (Even told me of a lowball offer he would have accepted but the buyer never showed up). Last ran the boat 5 weeks ago. Admitted he had an engine issue and rebuilt the carbs, but was bogging and not getting on plane.. He basically gave up and didn't want the hassle anymore as it was his "Pet Project". If compression and spark are good, I'm going to link and synch(?) I think I saw it called..

I hope to have good news in the next few days (Boat motor and trailer are at my home), but am realistic in that I know I have some things to do first. For such short money I felt it was a great "Cut my teeth" boat to learn about maintenance and proper things to do and not do.

Thank you for reading! :)

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard.

That '72 50HP is a GREAT motor. Used to have one, and really they're very stout. One hitch is it's electric shift. You can do a little 'Googling' on that and see what it means, but you won't find many techs who'll work on it. The system is obsolete and has a bit of a bad reputation - but, personally I kinda' like 'em.

Nothing to be afraid of, just be aware.

Senior Chief Petty Officer
The Mercs are sensitive to having a proper link and sync done after the carbs come off. Don't skimp on the procedure.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Welcome aboard.

That '72 50HP is a GREAT motor. Used to have one, and really they're very stout. One hitch is it's electric shift. You can do a little 'Googling' on that and see what it means, but you won't find many techs who'll work on it. The system is obsolete and has a bit of a bad reputation - but, personally I kinda' like 'em.

Nothing to be afraid of, just be aware.

i ran a 85 hp 1968 for several year and i liked the electro shift, you just have to use the right LU oil

pckeen

Commander
You've got the right attitude. There are a ton of old 50hp motors out there - if you do have to part it out, it won't be hard to find a replacement. Get it out on the water and enjoy it.

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thanks everyone!!!
Well FINALLY.... She's here at my house! Going to do the compression and spark testing later this afternoon. Hoping for good results. :)

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Been a bit, but another update......

IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!

Couldn't get her running at first, but checked it over. Had to pull carbs and rebuild, Fuel lines were on backwards, it was a mess.
RE-did everything connection- wise and she started and ran for the first time yesterday afternoon!!

Now to properly tune!

I do have some questions, but I'll of course post those in the appropriate sections. Keep an eye out!

just wanted to share the news!!!!! :)
Thanks again to all for the welcome!

roffey

Commander
Been a bit, but another update......

Fuel lines were on backwards

I will admit I know just enough about motors to be dangerous.... but how can a fuel line be on backwards?

Anyway, welcome aboard you are in the right place. The folks here will keep you in the right path. We need pictures, remember we all live vicariously thru others and pictures help the image, LOL.

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
The previous owner tried a carb rebuild apparently, and put the fuel line from the tank, to the output of the fuel pump, and the pump inlet was going to the carbs,
​NO wonder it wouldn't start and he gave up and sold it... LOL

82rude

Rear Admiral
Lets have some pictures ,pictures!!!!!!! For awhile I was lusting after a cruisers inc boat also ,it was a woody and was for sale at the Hesel Michigan wooden boat show.Should of bought it ,it was a beauty.

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I'll take some... She isn't too pretty, but for the price, oh yeah.. Good first boat I think... LOL

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
No Title

Ok, as requested... :)

Attachments

• photo253510.jpg
    photo253510.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 1
  • photo253511.jpg
    photo253511.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 1
  • photo253512.jpg
    photo253512.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 1

southkogs

Staff member
Take care of that OB - those are great motors. Fun boat! Ya' need to join the CLUB ;)

Welcome aboard.

s.hadley81

Petty Officer 1st Class
Now That's what I call custom seating! I love to see old boats brought back to life, it's always a good feeling bringing something back to life when others would just send it to the scrapyard. Good luck and welcome aboard

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
While you are at the motor it wouldn't hurt to check the gear oil. Made that mistake once when I bought my first boat. There was even milky oil on the ground under the prop and I thought it was spilled coffee! The guy who sold it to me must have laughed all the way to the bank! Live and learn I guess....

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Long overdue, and I apologize.. :cool:

Figured it was time to double check any topics I started that may not have an "End", and take care of that.

Still have the "Custom Seating" in this one.. lol...
It has served well, but unfortunately, It does have some issues.. I did core samples etc on it and all was good, but the outer hull is cracking even more where the port side hull and transom meet. Either I didn't do my cores right, or it's something I don't understand yet..
Due to this, and for safety, I've effectively retired it..
Debating on if I want to restore or not.. Heart wants to..

The Johnson 50 on it is running strong though!
Got it fixed up nice with wonderful help here..

August of 2017, I picked up a second boat..
Got the bug I guess.. It came with a Johnson 115... That's another thread though..

Thanks for all the help in this topic though guys! :D