What's the best buffing compound for removing overspray?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Begester

Petty Officer 1st Class
My wonderful neighbor got overspray all over my boat when he painted his house about 2 months ago. Just getting around to getting it off and the regular Meguiars compound isn't cutting it. I've got a standard polisher (random orbital) and would rather do it myself vs. Spending the $600 that a detailer quoted. Any suggestions?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
On gel coat try a little acetone on a rag, this may damage paint though.

mjf55

Chief Petty Officer
I agree with GA, get the neighbor to help on the cost. If you want to do it your self, google[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif] Maine Sail Tips For Compound, Polish & Wax [/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]. Read the article and decide where to start.[/FONT]

roffey

Commander
If I were the neighbor, I would just pay and apologize.

I would think any compound would remove the paint, followed by wax and buffing.... I can't see house paint really sticking to gel coat?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
If your hull was waxed, and the neighbor sprayed latex, it would come off when you wash it.

That being said, I would get your neighbor out there to buff and wax the boat since it was his overspray

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
If I were the neighbor, I would just pay and apologize.

I would think any compound would remove the paint, followed by wax and buffing.... I can't see house paint really sticking to gel coat?

Buffing compounds are not designed to remove paint in this way, solvents will.

roffey

Commander
I've used buffing compound for just about every blemish, scratch or stain on my boats, cars and furnature. It seems to work, but I would take your advice over mine, LOL. I know I exude confidence..

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Buffing compounds are very fine abrasives, mixed with some oils or water, plus some filler to get the correct consistency. It acts like sand paper, if the stuff on the surface is a bit loose, or not actually bonded to the surface, then the drag of the pad, plus the oil or water may wipe it away. If the paint (in this case) is actually stuck to the gel coat, then the compound and pad are trying to sand it down, which would be a slow proccess. Acetone won't hurt the gel coat when used in this way, but should remove the paint, some paint removers will work too, heck, fingernail polish remover may work, it just depends on the exact type of paint.

Last edited:

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
Your. neighbor is not a good neighbor if he didn't offer to do what ever it takes to clean up the problem. It's his responsibility, he caused the damage. His homeowners insurance will cover the restoration.

MOD EDIT - Control your emotions, no name calling please.

Last edited by a moderator:

Begester

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks all for the advice. Ended up having luck with a clay bar. Neighbor has been a jerk for a long time so I didn't expect much. Not worth getting mad over...used a clay bar and followed up with polish then wax and the boat looks great!

Newbie@boats

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks all for the advice. Ended up having luck with a clay bar. Neighbor has been a jerk for a long time so I didn't expect much. Not worth getting mad over...used a clay bar and followed up with polish then wax and the boat looks great!

Man that would drive me crazy! I bet if you got over spray on his boat he'd be knocking on your door. That was my biggest concern about where I bought my house was the neighbors, luckily they are all awesome so far! Glad you got it resolved.

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Glad you got it took care of... but just to add-- You can use xylene or acetone on gelcoat to remove paint, just keep them away from the interior, and wear nitrile gloves. "Goof Off" is predominately xylene...

And for a cheap, and just as effective rubbing compound as anything else I've tried, use Bar Keeper's Friend LIQUID cleanser. Yes, it works, and it would likely remove overspray fairly easily...

mr 88

Commander
Hey !!!

It's sad to hear that !!!

If ClayBar isn't working for you then you can try auto polish from ************ to remove the paint from the Car.
And if you are willing that it shouldn't happen again then I will suggest you to use paint guard to protect your car's paint.

OP wrote on 6/16/16 that he took care of it, please note dates on topics before responding ,in this case a post that is close to 2 years old.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.