Buying a boat without a title...is that ok?

Drb007

Petty Officer 1st Class
I may be buying an old boat without a title. It is advertised as a 16'. I thought (as least here in WI) that anything 16' and over had to have a title. He says he got the boat with the cottage he bought, and that he had no issues registering it. I am hesitant to buy it without the proper papers.
Thoughts?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
NO, it is not OK unless the hull is prior to 1972 (I think) when most states did not require titling on boats AND it is the original owner with the registration papers. In any case, check with your state. OR--simpler and less drama--walk away.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
If the boat has any hull markings or numbers, then you could do a little research to see who bought it originally and go from there. No title can be a head ache. It depends on where you live and what the requirements are. If it seems like more troubles then it is worth, then yes, walk away and find something else. JMHO!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
If you are in WI, check with the DNR office first. They will advise you what you need to do in order to obtain ownership. Do this prior to buying.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Wisconsin, any boat 16' or greater has to have a title. Boats less than 16' are not required to be titled but can be for an extra fee. All powered boats in Wisconsin must have a registration sticker and numbers.

Wisconsin makes it easier on boats less than 16' in that if the registration card is not present then a signed bill-of-sale from the current owner is all that is required. The Bill-of-sale must include; Name, full address, date of sale, sale amount and any number markings that are present. The sellers phone contact number should also be included though not required.

Wisconsin DNR keeps a very good record of each boat that was previously registered in this state and they will tell you over the phone who the last registered owner was. The Wisconsin DNR also has an on-line chat that you can go to, to get help or ask questions. They are not impossible to work with like some other states.

Last edited:

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Here ya go. Pay attention to the instructions and descriptions of requirements. You need a signed bill of sale or registration from the last registered owner. If the seller is not the last registered owner you have some leg work to do. But since the cabin owner got the boat as part of the cabin purchase, make him/her get that paperwork so you don't have to. It may be they moved to another state and could be hard to find. It is pretty well known here that if a seller cannot produce paperwork for a boat, motor or trailer where required, you have no idea if the boat was stolen and it may leave you with lots of work and worst case, a boat you cannot use.

http://dnr.wi.gov/files/PDF/forms/9400/9400-193.pdf

NYBo

Admiral
he had no issues registering it
Per the link I provided in by previous reply, if it was originally registered prior to 1988, no title was required. That appears to be the case. Things might get complicated if the registration has lapsed, though.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
I have dealt with Wis. DNR many times on boats both over and under 16'. 16' and over you must have a title signed by the last registered owner. If it is no available and the boat was last registered in Wis. they will help you obtain it. If the boat is under 16' all that is needed is the Bill-of Sale I mentioned but it must contain all the info listed.

I have purchased under 16' boats in this state that had Wisconsin numbers on them but the seller was not the last registered owner. I used the form Silvertip listed and in the Sellers spot I had them fill that out and sign it along with the Bill-of-Sale. The State issued to me new registration which surprisingly consisted of the same numbers that were on the boat.

In your case you have neither a title or Bill-of-Sale. I suggest contacting the DNR thru their chat site.

thdrduck

Seaman Apprentice
Had a 20 ft that was from Texas but the WI DNR checked and it had been registered in WI. They gave me the guys name and last known address, I had to send a letter requesting the title by registered mail. Was told if it came back "unable to deliver" I was not to open it but take it to the DNR office and with that and my check book I got a title and registration.

funk6294

Petty Officer 1st Class
I would avoid it. Just remember, there is always another deal. I bought a Sea Ray a long time ago and there was no title. As I found out Nevada has no good way to file for a new title/lost title, I was able to move it down the road, but that was pure luck. If you do choose to purchase it, pay no more than what you can sell the trailer for.

Drb007

Petty Officer 1st Class
Great advice guys. Thank you. I will call the DNR tomorrow and see what they can tell me, but I will go look at the boat. I am not sure it is over 16', so this might all be for naught. Regardless, What really drew me to the boat is the motor...it would work great on my daughter's Steury restoration. But the boat looks pretty nice, so it go me to thinkin...

I'll let you know what happens.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
depending on where you live, it may be more productive to stop in and talk to the people behind the counter.

shrew

Lieutenant
It doesn't matter what is required in 49 other states. The only thing that matters is what the state where the boat is being registered requires. Not all states require titles on boats. Different states have different requirements for titles and title searches. Your best bet is to verify the requirements with the registering authority.

This question gets asked a lot and people tend to get a significant number of bad information in the replies.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
It doesn't matter what is required in 49 other states. The only thing that matters is what the state where the boat is being registered requires. Not all states require titles on boats. Different states have different requirements for titles and title searches. Your best bet is to verify the requirements with the registering authority.

This question gets asked a lot and people tend to get a significant number of bad information in the replies.

The OP is in WI, so is Bonz_d. I used to live in WI, and had the best luck driving to the DNR office in Green Bay, or Madison for title and registration questions or issues.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Couldn't agree more.

The information I provided is 1 hand experience from living in Wisconsin. I also recommend the on-line chat that the Wis. DNR provides. They are very concise and have not found a question that they cannot answer. BTW they also keep records of these chats in case you ever need to refer back to them from what I have witnessed.

Drb007

Petty Officer 1st Class
Calling the DNR was the way to go. I can't believe how nice they were! I called twice today, and both times a live person answered on the second ring and personally handled my call. Very refreshing.
On my first call, she assured me a 16' boat in WI has to have a title, and if the seller said it was currently registered, he in fact had a title.
If it was under 16', no title is needed, just a signed registration card and bill of sale.
I called back again after I was able to zoom in on the hull ID numbers. He was able to tell me the name of the owner, his address, when he registered it, who the previous owner was...and confirmed it is a 15' boat. No need for a title.

However, I did go look at the boat, and it is in need of a full restoration. I am interested in the motor for my daughter's boat, and might donate the remains. We will see if the seller takes my offer. Seems I am the only one to even come look at it and it's been for sale for some time. Not sure he was impressed with my offer.

Thanks for all of the help guys!

NYBo

Admiral
According to their website (which I linked earlier):
All motorboats 16 feet and over in length, registered in Wisconsin after 1988 will have a Certificate of Title.

Moot point since it's only 15'.

Last edited:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
There you go, now you know for certain. I too have talked with the Wisconsin DNR many times and each time it was a polite and pleasurable experience.

Good luck. What size engine are you looking for?