Poling platforms

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Any of you guys use them ? Just debating on adding one to the boat I am restoring for fishing down here in the salt creeks and marshes .. Wouldn't a trolling motor do basically the same thing ? I have never used one so just wondering the ins and outs ...

eastoutwest

Recruit
I had one on my 18 foot flats and took it off. It was just in my way although it did make a nice cutting board. It has its advantages. You'll definitely move around quieter. You'll be a little more stealthy and be a few feet higher which helps to see more fish. You'll also be able to go a little shallower than with a trolling motor. It's work. Personally I'd rather not pole around all day. I prefer to let the trolling motor do the work while I sip a cold one. They key is to maintain a slow speed (don't speed up and slow down) when trying to be stealthy. I'm not sure how shallow you'll be fishing but a trolling motor needs at least a couple feet of water so it doesn't cavitate and spook everything. It's all a matter of preference and it wouldn't hurt to have both if you don't mind casting around it when fishing off the back of the boat.