Electric Downrigger mounting

Status
Not open for further replies.

p3ghost

Cadet
Good morning all.

I have a 19 center console Bayliner Trophy that I fish the Puget Sound with. Currently, I have 2 manual downriggers that are mounted near the center of the boat (that's how it was when I got it). I really want to switch to electric downriggers, likely Scotty 1106. Just curious how you guys would mount them. There really isn't a good place to mount them on the back, but I don't necessarily like them off the side where they are now either. I'm looking at the gimbal mounts, but I read somewhere that you have to fish off the stern and not the sides when using them because of stress on the gunwale. Any help would be hugely appreciated!

Thanks

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
It depends on the rod holders. I fish my downriggers in rod holders and don't think anything of it. If they can withstand fishing #80 tackle, they'll have no problem with a downrigger.

Consider using rotating bases to keep them maneuverable to an extent.

Last edited:

buchwheat

Seaman Apprentice
Absolute swivel bases each side near stern,,center is bad risk of wire in prop ( very bad-dead in water). swivels will allow u to do the easiest line setting for you everyones different. I even have a 5 ft broom handle with a plastic coated garage hook to reach out and grab the wire. Just practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.