explain high/low tide in relation to fishing like I'm 5

stackz

Master Chief Petty Officer
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]ok, so I've always known that fishing at high or low tide isnt the best in the world. and that fishing outgoing tide is always better than incoming.

but why? is it fishie siesta time at slack tides?

is it increased water pressure or some other scientific thingie?

is it the 11th commandment? thou shalt not fish slack tide!

??
[/FONT]

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
Having never fished coastal waters I'd guess that the tide creates currents, And I think fish everywhere relate to current,.....

Gyrene

Petty Officer 1st Class
I always thought it had to do with bait fish... the bait fish have to move out with the tide and shrinking depth, and the fish for sit and wait for them to come out.

R DAVIS

Seaman Apprentice
Read and understand this. While it is specific to the Gulf Coast, the same principles apply everywhere. The tide fluctuation is less on the Gulf coast than on the East and West coasts.

Last edited:

nwcove

Admiral
in my neck of the woods ( water).....the absolute best time to fish is the break of day on a rising tide. second best is when its dusk on a rising tide. .....i remember ( many years ago) the fishermen would come to their wharves around noon, clean their catch and salt the fish in puncheon barrels, all the waste was thrown back to the ocean......for us kids, that was the time to get ready for the evening of fishing if the tide was right. dusk would come, and the fish would move onshore....it would start with flounder and tommy cod, then the skate would move in, followed shortly by conger eels, then the prize of them all , the big wolf eels would come and take over the show. ( sorry for the reminiscing lol)

rolmops

Vice Admiral
It is mostly connected to the zero energy principal.
Fish (and most other predators) must get more energy out of their food than it costs them to catch it. The less energy expended,the better. Currents and tides will either transport the food to the fish or transport the fish to the food.