Pin Fish as bait?

fishndirk

Petty Officer 1st Class
Anyone know how well Pin Fish are as bait? Just moved to the east coast and figured out the trick on catching these little suckers and now I have a freezer full of them. I own a small boat so I wont be able to go offshore, just been staying around the intercoastal. Anything in these waters that will bite on them? How about freshwater, anyone know if any freshwater fish will bite on Pin Fish?

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Pin Fish as bait?

We use Pinfish for cutbait when surf fishing all the time,I think they make great live bait also.

sasto

Captain

Pinfish?.....One of the best baits ever....inshrore or off.

Where ya' at?

Depends! We love catchin' 'em also.

Art Bernard

Banned

Pinfish is great grouper bait and good allround cut bait. Snapper will go for them as well.

Art

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

This Bull Red hit a live pinfish while surfcasting.

GulfShoresOct2007003-1.jpg

fishndirk

Petty Officer 1st Class

Awesome, thanks for the heads up guys. I live in Hubert NC so the New River and White Oak waterways are the closest but Cape Fear and the Nuese River waterways are also doable every now and then. And of course the intercoastal gives you acces to everything inbetween.

robert graham

Admiral

Pinfish are very hard to beat, alive or cut...right up there with mud minnows and shrimp! Hang a whole pinfish a couple of feet under a float and something will hit it!

I actually prefer mudminnows and croakers to pin fish. Oh and don't ever let anyone fool you about eating them. I was tricked into it. Tasted like white meat fish dipped in gasoline.

Theres a trick to getting more success on live pin fish. Give them what I call a "hair cut". Take some scissors and cut the spines off their fins. It won't poke the predator fish in the mouth and cause it to let go.