Flounder Fishing

gbb

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I will be fishing in Chincoteague VA, this year. Does anyone know when the flounder start bitting?

KurtG

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Flounder Fishing

I think they usually start around mid-March, but many use Easter as a marker. Try the tidalfish dot com forums for local info.

aspeck

Staff member

PM xtraham about it ... he knows the fishing in that general area pretty well.

gbb

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Guys , nice site alot of good info.
can't wait to get fishing!

flavtfan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i grew up fishing out of wachapreague virginia and the chesapeake bay up around half moon island and april usually signaled the start of flounder season. i hear they are really puttin the restrictions on up there now....door mat flounder to even keep them and a pretty small bag limit. my dad still lives in parksley virginia and has flounder fished his whole life there and is about to give it up as it's not worth it to take the boat out almost. anyway...he catches a lot of flounder on about a 30 inch leader with two loops tied about evenly within that 30 inches with hooks coming off of those with a sinker at the bottom. usually he uses bucktails of white or chartruse. he baits them up with silversides and a strip of squid....he is a terror on flounder.

David Greer

Petty Officer 1st Class

friends of mine pulled 2 keepers out of Wachapreague last weekend, which is surprising since it's been cold. Fish the flats at teh edge of the channels when the water is cold.

flavtfan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

my father catches a lot of keepers there. sucks it has to be 19 inches now though. we have quite a few spots. i will say you can catch em near the old coast guard station and around the inlet. those aren't quite that secret :) foley's creek has some bigguns too.

David Greer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don't go to Folly Creek. There are sea monsters and pirates. Big green-head flies, black flies, mosquitos, and no-see-ums. Seagulls with rabies. Sharks and electric eels and man-of-wars. Whirl-pools and clashing rocks and Sirens. Trust me I'm not just saying this so I can have it all to myself.

flavtfan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i will agree the flies are terrible....but there are some monster flounder in and around there for sure. we haven't fished over there in a long time because it seems a lot of places are filling in. we did quite a bit of clamming over there in that creek though....out near the old coast guard station. i don't think that station is there anymore. it's been so long since we've fished folley's creek i could probably barely make my way through there....that was my grandfathers stomping grounds. my dad concentrates on all his spots in wachapreage (and he has some good ones). not many times we don't go and not load up on 'em. big ones too. i will say folley isn't fished as much as because the people that come to the area only know about wachapreague it seems so i would assume the fishing is better because of it. i'll have to convince my dad to go over that way a few times this year.

David Greer

Petty Officer 1st Class

the CG station (on Cedar) is still there--private club. Now it's hard to get to b/c the ocean opened up and filled in the inlet. Longboat is still deep and Folly runs out to the ocean at Metompkin, but that inlet is tricky, too.
So if you go back there just be careful about all the filling in and don't take a boat larger than 19'. 16 is better.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

How do you clean a flounder ?
With a fillet knife. :)
Four fillets. Put fish brown side up, cut down the middle where the backbone is, then fillet toward each side. Flip over and repeat. 4 fillets, darn flat fish.

EMSMedic79

Cadet

They usually start biting around the first of may here in southeastern NC. However there have been reports of some catches lately.

flavtfan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

yeah....that's probably why we don't go to folley's anymore...my dad has a 21 ft boat. we usually start fishing in april timeframe. i've heard of some decent catches recently. the flounder spots now-a-days have become almost top secret due the size they need to be to keep now. i know my dad won't give up that many.