What is the best wat to catch Sheepshead??????

paintitup12

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I know shrimp and fiddler crabs will work well but how about the rig and the structure

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander
Re: What is the best wat to catch Sheepshead??????

I've always caught them off a pier with shrimp. Sheepshead will feed on barnacles and may frequent structures to pick them clean.

budershank

Cadet

Hands down best way to catch sheepshead is to drop our line right next to a dock/piller that is covered in barnacles. Leave the line about 2-3 inches from the actual structure. I prefer something post like because it's easier to keep your line right next to it as opposed to trying to dangle the line a few inches above something lying at the bottom of sea floor.

In the past I always used fiddler crabs because they are real easy to catch if you are in a good sheepshead area. Shrimp works well too but other less desirable fish love shrimp so sometimes you end up with sailor's choice style fish.

Something that I would occasionally do to 'chum' for sheepshead is scrape away some barnacles. It seemed to of worked well but when I think about it this was well over 10 years ago so maybe it was just my imagination that this helped. Either way, stick with barnacle laden docks/structures with fiddler crabs or if you prefer shrimp and you should do great.

mpsyamaha

Petty Officer 1st Class

crabs are definitely better than shrimp.... baby blue crabs also work good in addition to fiddlers. use as light of a weight as possible to get the bait down, you want to feel the fish nibbling. set the hook harder than you think you need to, and use flourocarbon leader to keep from getting broken off as much.

headhunter93

Recruit

i have found that the best way to catch sheepshead is to drop down beside pylons with plenty of barnacles. i have found that fiddlers and muscles work the best while fishing for these soft nibblers. it is best to use a pole that is light enough to feel the fish hit without any difficulties, but you also don't want the rod to be too light to where it won't handle the fish.

now that you should be set up this is how you fish for sheepshead. what i have always done is fish with the current. then you drop strait down or in front of the pylon to ensure that it is as close to the pylon as possiable. after it hits the bottom you should lift the weight off the bottom about and inch or so. then keep bouncing it off the bottom every once and a while and wait for the quick hit.

so, good luck fishing and i hopt my info will help you catch more sheepshead

kalla man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

you can actually use barnacles as bait, and it works extremely well!! find a piling with barnacles on it, hold a 5 gallon bucket next to the piling just under water and scrape the barnacles off with something....watch your hands..you might want to wear gloves. you can get all the bait you need for a day in just mins. put 2 or three big barnies on a hook w/ a small weight and get ready for some action.. they love it!

thurps

Chief Petty Officer

Don't have any sheepshead up here in the northern part of the state, but I remember when I lived in SoCal years ago it was one of my favorite fish. Just boil the fillets in a brine for about three minutes, dip it in melted butter, ummm just like lobster.

mpsyamaha

Petty Officer 1st Class

i think the pacific sheepshead is a different species. the sheepshead here are in the porgy family and are also extremely tasty. been catching them good lately on baby live blue crabs

lquested

Seaman

im only guessing but ithink the bst way is with a..... umm.... hook? but im only guessing... lol

King mustang

Seaman

I always use sand fleas on a fish finder rig right by the pylings.

sunburnt

Seaman

stout rod. braided line,with flourocarbon leader! don't use cheap/ n\\\dull hooks. 2x owner offset gives better chance of landing one with shoulders.good luck///

matt2002

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Are these Sheepshead the same as Tautog/Blackfish ?

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

porgshee.jpgporgshee.jpg porgshee.jpg porgshee.jpgporgshee.jpgporgshee.jpg

This is a sheepshead. It is a member of the drum family. It will not have barbels on the lower chin as drum do, however.

Also, I agree also to use a fish finder rig. About one ounce egg sinker, swivel and 30# fluorocarbon leader. It is very hard to feel them hit, as they stay stationary and just nibble. You try and notice your line start to circle around and then set the hook.

I have fished for these for thirty years. Big bridge between Tampa and Clearwater, Courtney Campbell causeway pilings are loaded with them. I have used all the tricks as mentioned, especialy chummin em up with scraped barnacles. Then used fiddlers for bait. Once while chasin fiddlers, foud some hermit crabs wandering around and took a few with me. Crushedthe shells pulled them out and off we went. Oh my God, it seemed like sheephead catnip. They went absolutely crazy over them, and waaay bigger as well! All Good. :p