Cod fishing Stellwagen.

rolmops

Vice Admiral
Re: Cod fishing Stellwagen.

Cod's preferred temperature is between 36 and 44 degrees.They follow the bait but they like it cool.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) I'm sure glad that rolmops had a great day on the water or else my name would have been MUDDDDDDD!!!! The next guy that goes may get dogged out!!!!<br /><br />One good thing about our harbor is that we are only minutes away from the open ocean of the north atlantic!!! you do not have to go to middle bank to get cod!!!! About 2 miles south of the mouth of the harbor is Saturday Night Ledge where you can find cod, there are plenty of humps!!!! We have a good commercial fishery inside the 3 mile limit You can take your boat to Jefferies and get good cod fishing!!!! Stay out of Ipswich Bay if bottom fishing, it's no good!!! You can get good cod fishing out side of Boston harbor!!!<br /><br />From mid June thru October there is plenty of fishing for stripers, blues mackerel and football tuna!!!<br /><br />Septemberish is great fishing for stripers to 50 pounds from shore with plugs when the bait fish are close to shore, early mornings late afternoon!!! When fishing from the rocky shoreline you best be wearing corkers, it is a dangeous sport, fishing from shore, broken legs, torn rotor-cuffs, broken arms and serious head trauma!!! My brother in laws brother died from massive brain damage fallen off the breakwater, was in a coma for 15 months!!!! It does not matter how physically strong you think you are when your legs go out from under you faster then you can brink an eye!!!! ;) :cool:

VikingFleet

Seaman Apprentice

another option for you is viking fleet out in montauk, ny. we've had an awesome cod & pollack record so far this year. we've got some great pics in the photo gallery on our website, www.vikingfleet.com.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Hello again Q.<br />I did a mapquest and looked up distances between Reading,PA and Truro,MA. It is 420 miles.The distance between Reading and Gloucester is 381 miles.<br />So distance should not discourage you

Fly Rod

Commander

:) rolmops!! Let me know if and when you decide to come and stay at the camp site or a motel!!!<br /><br />If you come here in the summer you may want to check staying at the Cape Ann Motor Inn, it sits on Long Beach, that is if you like the beach!!!!

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Hello Flyrod.<br />Before I make any more plans about fishing trips in the summer in Gloucester,I must find out the nitty gritty about veritable clouds of big mean green blood sucking biting flies that seem to hang out in that neck of the woods.I will have to pick a time when those buggers are not around.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Yes them nasty, biting , sucking Greenheads that only thrive here in Essex County!!!<br /><br />They are here from mid July thru August and only along the marshlands along the Annisquam and up towards Newburyport!!! Be brave man and take the nasty bite!!!! ;) :cool:

Quadruplecccc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks rolmops, 40mi closer and probably an hr less drive. I gotta check into it as soon as I get a chance.<br />Flyrod, would you happen to know their rates per night? Sounds like you favor this place!?(Cape Ann Motor Inn)<br />Oh, one more Question: what kind of water temp is common on the Stellwagen around Memorial day?How deep of water are we talkin?

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Hello Q.<br />try:<br /> http://sanctuaries.noaa.gov/pgallery/atlasmaps/images/sb_2000.jpg <br />The contour lines are in meters so you can roughly multiply them by three.put your mouse pointer on the map and single click.It will enlarge the maps.<br />I don't know what type of GPS you have ,but garmin has a very good cartridge for this area.I presume that the other companies do too.<br />The area is very fog prone. Do not go out without good electronic guidance systems.

Fly Rod

Commander

Good Morning!!!<br /><br />Quad!!<br /><br />It is not that I like one motel over another, but if you like to be on a beach www.capeannmotorinn.com is directly on Long Beach!!!! None of them big nasty greenheads on the east side!!! <br /><br />If you prefer to stay at a motel where you can eat, drink and sleep and trailer your boat and be 5 minutes from one of the best boat ramps north of Boston then you may want to stay at www.capeannmarina.com nice place to eat but a little pricey!!! go across the street and you will get the best fresh sea food in the city for a reasonable price!!!!<br /><br />And if you are trailering a boat make sure they have room for your trailered boat!!! Do not leave anything of value in the boat at night!!!<br /><br />From Cape Ann you can fish in or out of the Annisquam River along the coast all the way north to Canada or go south under the 2nd busious bridge in the country and fish to you each England!!! ;) :cool:

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Was talking to the dock master at Cape Ann Marina If you plan on trailering a boat you can call the Marina ask for extention#455 and ask Mr. Favazza about keeping your boat there!!!! ;) :cool:

Quadruplecccc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the map rolmops! That was a really cool map!<br />Flyrod: It seems that it would be more logical to go to Cape Ann and drive the boat south, than to go to Cape Cod and take the boat north. Better motel and launch and not to mention food!! That got my attention! Thanks for the contact at Cape Ann Marina. That was big for me!<br />I liked the humps and drops at the northwest corner. Do the cod relate to areas like that or are they more prone to find a wreck to hang at?

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Maps!!!! On the water we use charts!!!<br /><br />Water depths range from 80-90 feet on top of Middle Bank to depths of 200-400 feet!!!<br /><br />Charts to have:<br /><br />Gulf of Maine and Georges Bank # 13009 This will also show you some wrecks and the soundings (depth) are in fathoms!!!<br /><br />Portsmouth to Cape Ann #13278 and soundings are in feet!!!! <br /><br />And a water proof chart #100 Boston to Bar Harbor Water proof charts sink when the wind blows them out of the boat!!!<br /><br />A new emergency fishing regulation will take effect for all recreational fishing for cod!!! Starting May 1st all cod will have to be over 24 inches long!!! ;) :cool: