Panama City Beach - shore fishing

ranger481vs

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all, Family and I will be headed to PCB for a week arriving March 27. Planning to surf fish a time or two with my son while we're there. We're from the midwest, and I used to be a big bass fisherman. I have a lot of gear, but I'm guessing it probably makes more sense to rent gear from a PCB tackle shop.

I've been watching a few videos, so I have a idea of what to expect and how to surf fish – bloodworms/shrimp on bottom rigs.
Thought I'd post here to get any other tips or locations to try. Thanks in advance.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I've been watching a few videos, so I have a idea of what to expect and how to surf fish – bloodworms/shrimp on bottom rigs.

Thought I'd post here to get any other tips or locations to try. Thanks in advance.
Blood worms and shrimp will catch everything from "bait" size fish, to very large sharks and Cobia. Bass tackle will be no match for the later two

Also keep in mind that the bottom gradually drops away. A lot of times you'll need to cast a considerable distance to get to the fish. The shortest rod in my arsenal is 9' 6". My "go to" rods range from 11'-9" to 12'-3" and are capable of casting from 4-10 oz. with bait.

Also keep in mind that current and wave action requires using a bit of weight to hold bottom. Using 4 to 6 oz of weight is pretty typical.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Depending how far you have to cast and how deep the water is, I would free line the shrimp, #1 circle hook no weight just cast it out and let the shrimp swim. You can also add a bobber if you want a little more weight for casting.

A jig with a red head also be deadly with a shrimp on it.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
A jig with a red head also be deadly with a shrimp on it.
I was going to say bag the shrimp in favor of a 1/2 - 3/4 oz. red head with green twister tail but I see Specs, Reds and Snook are C&R only thru May, 2021

ranger481vs

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the advice! I was planning to fish the surf from the beach, instead of pier fishing. There's a tackle shop called Half Hitch that sounds like they rent equipment, so I will give them a call to find out what they have. then I'll plan to bring other equipment with me, like pliers, bucket, filet knife, etc. Half hitch is over near saint Andrews, so maybe we'll do our fishing somewhere in that park.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Thanks for the advice! I was planning to fish the surf from the beach, instead of pier fishing. There's a tackle shop called Half Hitch that sounds like they rent equipment, so I will give them a call to find out what they have. then I'll plan to bring other equipment with me, like pliers, bucket, filet knife, etc. Half hitch is over near saint Andrews, so maybe we'll do our fishing somewhere in that park.
Success on the beach requires a bit of knowledge. Im a Atlantic coast guy so I can’t give specifics to that area but keep these two things in mind.

SW fish are migratory. Find out what fish are available and target them specifically. Lots of undesirable ground fish will populate the surf at any given time.

Location, location, location....Knowing how to read the beach is the most important skill you possess as a surf fisherman. More times than not, fishing within a couple of feet either direction can make the difference between fishing and catching.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NTDEyaGCu9I

DeepCMark58A

Commander
I was going to say bag the shrimp in favor of a 1/2 - 3/4 oz. red head with green twister tail but I see Specs, Reds and Snook are C&R only thru May, 2021

The area I fish South of Tampa, north of Sarasota the c & r only extends until September of 2020. We usually release all we catch.