Spooling an open spinning reel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gpag

Cadet
Last night I spooled line onto my new Kastking Sharky III. Ever having done this before I watched several videos on the right way to do it. Some videos said that since the reel loaded the spool in a clockwise direction the line should come off the line spool in a counter clockwise direction. Others said that since the reel loaded the spool in a clockwise direction the line should come off the line spool in a clockwise direction. I chose the counter clockwise option. Using the reel today, any slack line kept winding around itself.
What is the correct way to spool a spinning reel?
Do I need to trash the line on the reel or can I wind it back on the line spool and start over?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Last night I spooled line onto my new Kastking Sharky III. Ever having done this before I watched several videos on the right way to do it. Some videos said that since the reel loaded the spool in a clockwise direction the line should come off the line spool in a counter clockwise direction. Others said that since the reel loaded the spool in a clockwise direction the line should come off the line spool in a clockwise direction. I chose the counter clockwise option. Using the reel today, any slack line kept winding around itself.
What is the correct way to spool a spinning reel?
Do I need to trash the line on the reel or can I wind it back on the line spool and start over?
You didn’t mention the weight of line..braid or mono?

If braid, the problem you described is typically the result of winding the line on the spool too loosely and/or not manually closing the bail after the cast.

When using mono on spinning tackle, line quality and age is everything. Fresh, good quality line doesn’t take a set. Therefore, the direction in which you spool shouldn’t matter

Gpag

Cadet
It is new monofilament. The photo shows what I’m getting but it was much worse when I was reeling in. Lots of tight twists. When I was a kid I fished off a bridge dropping a worm with a conventional reel. That’s the extent of my fishing experience. Other than that, I’m new to fishing off a boat, spinning reels and anything else tackle and fishing related. I was using a weight on the line and a hook on the end of the line on a swivel. Could that be the problem?
What is the way to fix this? Should I sh-can the whole thing and re-spool the reel?

Attachments

• photo317714.jpg
    photo317714.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
It is new monofilament. The photo shows what I’m getting but it was much worse when I was reeling in. Lots of tight twists.
What brand and line weight?

Without being able to handle the line, my guess is a cheap brand that has sit in a warehouse or on the shelf for a bit.

Good quality, fresh line does not coil like that.

Gpag

Cadet
It is Trilene 15lb. No date code on the spool so I have no idea how old it is. Think I got it from West Marine last time I was there a couple of weeks ago.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Trilene is pretty stiff line. Would be my choice for spinning tackle.

Your fishing from a boat. What are you fishing for?

What size reel? What is the size and line rating of the rod?

Mismatching components can be a big contributor to your problem as line selection.

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
Here’s the best way to get the line on correctly, using the most suited line and with out twist. Take your reel to a tackle shop or sporting goods store, get their expertise on proper line and have them load the reel. I not joking. I’ve been fishing for 60 years and know how to do it properly. I often spool my reels myself but mostly I take them to a tackle shop and have them do it. I have over 50 rods and reels and re spool 4 or 5 or more rods a year. I just take them to my favorite tackle shop and let them take the old line off and then re spool. Plus they properly dispose of the old line.
I could explain and show you in person the proper way but typing up the instructions it just wouldn’t come out clear. For instructions do a google search, there’s lots out there. But I say Just take it to a shop and have it done.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I know this is an old thread but for anyone reading and has difficulty spooling any type of line on any type of reel get the tackle shop that you will buy the line at spool it for you and you can be sure that line is new. I never buy line from a big box store like Wally World etc. Especially monofiliment lines. Mono has what is called "line memory" over time and who knows how old that line is it will have loops in it that will never come out. If you don't spool it on the same way it unspools from the plastic wheel it will be a nightmare to use.

Listen to Sprig. Self spooling isn't rocket science. Braid and Flourocarbon line doesn't get line memory over time, mono will. Pay the extra $ for flouro or braid. I only use mono for backing on my big saltwater type reels. When I did use mono I changed line up to 4 times a year when I was fishing almost daily. Stay away from mono and your line twists are history.

Status
Not open for further replies.