South Florida Offshore Rod Reel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, looking to find a nice set of rods / reels that I can use on my boat. It's a center console boat. I'm a begging fisherman and want 2 - 4 good trolling reels and 4-6 spinning reels for bottom fishing and letting a long line out. Can anyone show me something that is intermediate to professional gear that won't break the bank. I'm looking to buy the whole set at once. Thanks

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Too little information......

“Trolling and bottom fishing” is painting with a very broad brush.

I troll inshore and offshore. Have 26 trolling rods vary from #20 to #80 class depending on the application.

Use everything from #10-17 “bass rods” to #30 for bottom fishing

Budget?

You can spend anywhere from $100 to $3,500 for a trolling combo.

You can spend anywhere from $25 to $1,000 on a bottom combo

Too little information......

“Trolling and bottom fishing” is painting with a very broad brush.

I troll inshore and offshore. Have 26 trolling rods vary from #20 to #80 class depending on the application.

Use everything from #10-17 “bass rods” to #30 for bottom fishing

Budget?

You can spend anywhere from $100 to $3,500 for a trolling combo.

You can spend anywhere from $25 to $1,000 on a bottom combo

Sorry

I'm a bit new, I don't really know. Looking for some begging setup. The budget is $1500-2000 for 8 rods and reels

cbw5007

Recruit
For offshore fishing a 7500 series reel is the standard reel used. There are various qualities depending on the budget. The Penn Spinfisher VI 7500 is a quality reel and the Penn Battle II 6000 will work for mahi-mahi and blackfin tuna in south Florida. The 8000 is a good option if you plan to catch bigger fish on spinning tackle. This article shows popular spinning reels.
https://www.globalfishingreports.com/best-saltwater-spinning-reels/

For the conventional reels, I would recommend getting a good trolling setup. One good reel would be a Penn Squal 50 two-speed. This reel is under $350 and can catch almost any fish. It is also good for high speed trolling for wahoo. Then get two or thee 30 class reels, the Penn Fathom II or Squall level wind rees are great for novice anglers. The line does not need to be guided with your fingers.
https://www.globalfishingreports.com/best-conventional-reels/

Almost any spinning rod will work, I like ugly sticks. For the conventional rods, the one with 50 class reel should have roller guides. I hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.