Garmin navigation map help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garmin navigation map help

Hello folks! I've just installed a Garmin 54CV on our boat for salt water fishing. And I'm trying to use the navigation maps to determine fishing spots.

So, could someone please help me understand the attached navigation map?

For example; I have no clue what the "light blue patches" are, or what the numbers mean (I'm thinking depth maybe?), or what the blue lines imply.

Any other pointers in using this Garmin for fishing would be much appreciated too.

The numbers are depth, normally in feet. The blue lines designate depth changes. The light blue patches are probably shoals or shallow areas.
    2008 Maxum 1800MX - 'Lottie-Da'
    1994 Proline 2510 - 'DrifteR ' <- project - ON THE WATER!
    1971 Concorde 27' - 'Little Angel ' <- sold

Comment

Originally posted by TBarCYa View Post
      The numbers are depth, normally in feet. The blue lines designate depth changes. The light blue patches are probably shoals or shallow areas.
      Got it! And any difference between the blue & the light-gray lines? Appreciate the help, again.

Comment

Garmin has a lot of "How to Videos" posted out there. just do a google search and they do a good job of explaining things.

Comment

The dark blue areas are "pretty" shallow, and the light blue are "extremely" shallow. I would stay away from both! Also if you would like more chart definition (contour lines) when you are fishing, then use your "Fishing Chart" instead of your "Navigation Chart." Your fishing chart gives contour lines every 6 ft so you can really pinpoint all the humps and drop-offs.
          My Wellcraft cuts through bay and sound chop like a champ, but thats not what my Wellcraft is for...

Comment

Whoops, did not realize this thread was so old. Darn noobs anyway
            My Wellcraft cuts through bay and sound chop like a champ, but thats not what my Wellcraft is for...

Comment

Working...
            X