For Longline trollers that use planner boards.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I posted this on the freshwater forum then realized some of you salties use boards as well. Do you? I have never noticed any when fishing south, I have seen them used in British Columbia on saltwater.

I need to take a pic of what we did on buddy's 23' Cuddy last year. We use planner boards on Lakes Ontario and Erie to get the bait away from the boat and wake to the side while trolling for Salmonids and Walleye, even Musky. A planner board is usually set out from a mounted centre mast. It is tough to mount a mast on a glass boat that has a covered bow, almost impossible to get to actually. We took 2 drive motors from a set of Downriggers to power the spools. We set the spools on the side pillars just ahead of the windshield and using a few strategically mounted sheaves can set out the boards and retrieve them with ease. I can't get my phone to upload pics on this PC. I will try my wife's phone and show you. If we were younger I might market them. They most likely exist but I have never seen one. Has anyone here seen that set up?

sam am I

Commander
800# mono? That's like 1/8" dia (0.137795" to be exact for 900#)

Nope, no way would Big Jon's be able to wind anything in (manually or electrically) that would require that much force that 800lb test is being used. It might spool up 150ft of 800# but, manually winding in such a beast the requires 800# test?, the handle would snap off!, no doubt!

The clutches are quite robust and will most likely handle those forces but, only if the clutche's plastic star nut is torqued to its(plastics) thread limits.

I drop 8,10,12lb lead balls and/or pull Frisky Jenny planner boards with 2/3/4 lines hung out on each with 150/175/200lb stainless steel (down) or power braids (out) spooled on mine.

Not sure but, I think old iron was referring to items more in this smaller arena?

Cisco ($$$) would be a bit better for that heavy stuff ding....They use the same'ish clutch design as BJ but, no plastics however, so they'll handle the bigger salty stuff's better.

Last edited:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
800# mono? That's like 1/8" dia (0.137795" to be exact for 900#)

Nope, no way would Big Jon's be able to wind anything in (manually or electrically) that would require that much force that 800lb test is being used. It might spool up 150ft of 800# but, manually winding in such a beast the requires 800# test?, the handle would snap off!, no doubt!
The large mono is for easy of handling and to absorb shock.

Guessing the boards pull in the #90-#100 range. Pulling them hand over hand is a real workout. It's the shock from the heavy wave action that puts the lines to the test. Pop #135 planer board line like kite string. Don't see #200 doing any better.

Running .095" diameter now but guys report the clips slide better with the larger diameter line. Don't want to go too much smaller. Thinking about #400 braid but not sure how easy it is to handle.

Retrieval isn't that big of a deal. Normal routine is to circle each board with one guy pulling the board to the boat and the other winding the line on the spool. Would love to make it a one man job but doubt it's going to happen.

Pulling 3 board planers. 6-8 lines on each. Large parachutes and umbrella rig

I'll check out the Cisco stuff

sam am I

Commander
Agreed on the shock factor, mine do snap pretty hard sometimes. Especially if you have the pulley's up on mast....

Thinking about that more, the BJ clutch design does tend to bust/pop loose during those quick dynamic shots they take when the boat rocks one way and the planner is going the other but, hold really well under static loads.

I do recall over the years the clutch/drag popping loose for that second(rotation or two) every once in a while, might explain why I'm able to run no more then 200# for so many years and never had a main line break.

I'm thinking those Cisco's would most likely do the same and you might be able to go down to 400# braids/mono's and rely more on that clutch/drag setting/design to eliminate any future breaks......

More idea's here Same difference, just put a board on the end of these reels, not a teaser plug.........

Last edited:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I need to get out more. I only took up this method of fishing 5 years ago. 50% Bass and 50% trolling/jigging for Walleye in much shallower water before that.

No trout and Steelhead?
Made the pilgrimage to Sodus every Spring for a number of years. Cut my teeth on the use of boards pulling stick baits on the mud line.