almost lost new reel !

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Was cod fishing today with a new Penn reel i bought. Saw some large fish that i think were tuna come up and take some small fish we threw back. About 15 minutes later i hooked a nice fish and was reeling him in when the line just stopped and then began stripping out off the reel, it nearly pulled the pole from my hands. The fish would pull for a minute and then stop and then go again until it eventually broke the line which was 30lb braid. definitely not a cod. my biggest worry was how to tell my wife i lost the expensive reel i bought the day before, the first time i used it!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
#30 Power Pro by chance?

Stop, start is a shark nines times out of 10.

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
There are sharks in the area. My sister in law caught 1/2 a cod last year and the shark followed the other half to the surface next to the boat. Another time my father in law caught one about four feet long through the pectoral fin, we had quite a job releasing it. The line was spiderwire braid, which i;m finding really good except it has a tendency to get abraided easily, even when i use a foot long steel leader. I still think this was a tuna though, they were numerous that morning and eating the small cod we threw back.