Saltwater Fishing in Naples, FL - Novice needs help

southkogs

Staff member
I will be having a trip to Naples, FL in early December with my family and will have a boat and some fishing gear (don't know the inventory) available while we're at the rental house. I'm wanting to get some time in fishing while there, but the only things I know about saltwater fishing is that the predatorial scales are slightly more balanced.

I have charter fished several times in the Gulf, and I do plan on taking the kids on a charter one day - but the rest of the time, we'll just be playing as we can. We'll be on the water and we'll have a boat in the waterways inshore of Keewaydin Island - but I can't take that boat out into the gulf (I think it's a deck boat type, not sure). So, my neophyte questions are:

What kind of fishing should I expect in the backwaters around Keewaydin Island?
What gear do I need that I wouldn't use in freshwater? (Bass, Trout)
Any particular fish I should chase after that would fish differently?
How concerned do I need to be about Big Choppy Teeth? (I'll have a nephew and niece with me who are young enough to be bait for some things)

Thanks y'all!

sasto

Captain
The easiest way to do it, especially with little ones. is 10 pound test, a bobber, and a live shrimp on a #1hook,maybe a snook will appear. Mangrove snapper have teeth. To catch them I use a #6 hook with a small piece of shrimp

southkogs

Staff member
Good to see you Capn'!

Thanks! I've been doing some reading on the internet, but I'm only used to seeing what get's taken on the charters - gaffs and such. Snook any good to eat? I like Red snapper ... Mangrove in that same vein?

sasto

Captain
Snook is the best. Mangrove's on the grill are awesome. This is easier than freshwater fishing. The local bait shop will be more than willing to help you out. FWC has a great website for identification, edibility, and their dinner. There are so many more different saltwater fish you may catch. Saltwater Sportsman is a great place to start also. Fish on!

southkogs

Staff member
Awesome! I'm looking forward to this ... first time I ever brought in a Red Snapper, it was kinda' funny because the captain opted to toss it back. He figured we'd have no problem getting a bigger one (which we did do), but I watched that fish go back over the gunwale thinkin', "that's the biggest fish I've ever caught!" :D

I'm excited to get the kids down there and fish.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if the fishing is bad, I know a couple of bars on the water..... :facepalm:

all seriousness aside, you can catch almost anything on shrimp. from lizzard fish to lady fish to sheaphead to hamerhead shark to grouper to snapper.

make sure you get a "law stick" http://www.amazon.com/Florida-LSAC-Law-Stick/dp/B0084EH340 sold at any of the bait shops. it is also wise to know the seasons http://myfwc.com/media/2834422/saltwater-seasons-chart-gulf.pdf

snook are great eating, however they have a slot limit and the season is closed in december http://myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/recreational/snook/

for freshwater, plenty of bass down here. let me know exactly which body of water and I will check with a co-worker that fishes all the tournaments for bass.

FWIW, I have caught more fish on land at the break walls in the channels during an outgoing tide than I have from the boats

southkogs

Staff member
Thanks a million Scott - that's a big help.

We're staying on Keewaydin Island. I'll have a boat on the intercostal side of the island, and sea kayaks on the gulf side (as I understand the agreement, we can't take the boat on the gulf). I'm not sure how confident that I am in fishing off the kayaks being inexperienced out there - my luck I'd tag a 'cuda or shark on my first hit - so, I'm thinking the bulk of what we'd fish is the intercostal side.

We'll have plenty of opportunities to scout as the littler kids will enjoy cruising around lookin' for whatever wildlife we can find.

southkogs

Staff member
Wow ... cool link! Thank you.

I'll get my hand held out to the island from where we park. From there I've been looking over the ICW to the South (we're parking to the North). I learned some about tides in Charleston this year (talking to the ferry crew at Ft. Sumpter), and I have the polarized sunglasses. I'll have the cell phone and VHF with me too. That link will help fill in some gaps on my charting I think.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
worse case, Bradenton Propeller is only about 2 hours north of Naples. drop off on one day, pick up the next. dont ask me how I know :facepalm:

southkogs

Staff member
... that reminds me to check into gettin' towed if necessary. :eek:

southkogs

Staff member
I've got Tow Boat here, but not sure if my membership works on the ICW. I also don't know if the rental has a tow package for the boat. Owners are locals though ... seem to be real accommodating folks.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
if you have a membership, it works. just call them, tell them your on vacation.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Good luck w your trip. Never been to Keewaydin, looks like a great spot to spend 2wks though

southkogs

Staff member
Thanks JB - never done a trip like this one before. We'll be on Keewaydin about 6 days and then up toward Orlando (I think) for the last few days. Even without the fishing it's gonna' be pretty phenomenal.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
if your going to orlando, remember, Disney is a giant people trap operated by a mouse.

southkogs

Staff member
if your going to orlando, remember, Disney is a giant people trap operated by a mouse.
We're in for the trap ... just a day at Magic Kingdom. But we're also doing a day at Universal and Busch Gardens. It's cool though - it's actually going to be pretty reasonable (relatively speaking from a cost perspective). While I wouldn't go too far out of my way to go to the parks, I don't mind going to 'em. Kids have always been good sports about what we do and how much we spend.

Coming back over to the fishing side, how's fishing the surf on the gulf side? Same type of techniques? Same type of fish?

We'll have a pier too.

Igyjastabay

Seaman
I live in Naples and fish quite abit. Medium action rods with 15 to 20 pound test. Lower test if using a liter. I like to cast and retrieve with a gold or siver spoon. This will get you mackerals and jack and they fight like the devil. I have fished were you are staying. Go to the southern most point of the island where the current bottle necks. Good spot. The flats hold permit and pomano. Warning: you will not want to leave. Beatiful area where you will be.

southkogs

Staff member
Thanks!! I've been looking at that southern end, figured it might be a neat place to see. Been kinda' lookin' for an interesting place to snorkel around there, but also hoping to just see some of the wildlife. I know I'm going to like it there ... fortunately, I also know summers in that area would probably be too much. This time of year is gonna' be perfect.

Mackerel any good eatin'? The few times I've fished down there, I think we caught them for bait.