Humboldt Squid Fishing Gear?

Pusher

Lieutenant
Since it is an El Nino year, I am hoping to catch one of these up in the straights of Juan De Fuca this next weekend. Could anyone give me some advice on how to catch these guys? I've done the smaller 8" species while jigging from a pier, but I was thinking I would drop a whole salmon down about 200' in the evening with some steel leader. Are they pickier eaters than this, or am I more likely to catch a seal?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Pusher

Lieutenant
We're heading over to the coast tomorrow. Any last minute advice?

roffey

Commander
Wish I could help but the only thing I catch on a regular bases is a cold.

Pusher

Lieutenant
No worries, my wife was sick of the water, and nobody else was interested in an evening fish. I was forced to wait until the next El Nino. :-/

hammerhead_77

Seaman Apprentice
when we get them down here in SoCal we typically find them down around 600+ feet. We just use glowing squid jigs with 12-16oz weights. They are NOT picky!! the key is to get a few of them on the line so they follow the hooked ones and come shallow. We would catch the first ones in 600, the second at 300, the third at 100 and the rest at 20.

Pusher

Lieutenant
Huh, that would make sense. I was thinking about the recent river monsters episode where Jeremy caught them on hand lines so I was like 600'!?! I never got to try it out last year. My landlubbers all voted me off the island. It sounds like you had it down.