trolling question

prayingmantis

Seaman Apprentice
I'm new at trolling. At the end of last season I bought a pair of Proos electric downriggers. I have heard that electrostatic will chase away fish. Is that true ? If it is true how much is too much ? I have been out on Lake Erie for walleye and haven't had any luck on them. I have got some bass on some divers. Thanks for any help

LongLine

Chief Petty Officer
Just because it's on the internet or someone is trying to sell you something doesn't make it true. Catching fish trolling is more methodology than electric charge. i.e. speed, depth, lures etc

prayingmantis

Seaman Apprentice
ok Thanks. I have heard a lot of people talking about it but did know if there was any truth to it. I know we catch a crap load of pike without the downriggers but have had trouble with walleye.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
For some fish, in some situations, and depending on how you use the DR's, it can make a difference. I have a system to control voltage, never mounted it though, some people say they see a difference, others don't. Commercial guys use them and many won't fish without them.

Mr.Stickney

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi Mantis,

I'm on the Canadian side of lake Erie and our go to set up is just bottom bouncers some "erie dearies" ( orange seems to be the color of choice over the last little while) and worm harnesses. And planar boards to keep everything nice and neat!

Just food for thought!

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
Walleye coming from deeper than 30 feet are likely to die,......

I've never needed down riggers to get 30 feet or less,....

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... I pulled my downriggers since I switched from Salmon/ Trout to Walleyes,.....

In-line planer boards, 'n various sinker arrangements, 'n lures for Wally's,....