A good day on the Mohawk River near Latham NY . . .

Expidia

Commander
My son was thrilled. He's never caught fish this big . . . ever!

This one was a Walleye, check out the teeth in the next pic:

Think this bass has a big appetite? Big crawfish and he's still hitting my lure. A live crawfish was trying to crawl back out of his throat. I pushed it back in and let him swim away.

They were hitting great . . . casting just into the edge of the shoreline. Probably foraging for crawfish. I think our luck was great due to it still being May and the water was like 68. Also, I put a drop or two every now and then of some trout scented attractant that I had in my fishing box. I just ordered two bottles of crawfish scented attractant.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:

rolmops

Vice Admiral
For all you out of season fish catchers. The NY DEC has publicized a rule that an out of season fish may not be targeted and if accidentally caught,must be released immediately. No pictures to be taken.
A picture of an out of season fish can cost you a $250 fine!!!

Expidia

Commander
For all you out of season fish catchers. The NY DEC has publicized a rule that an out of season fish may not be targeted and if accidentally caught,must be released immediately. No pictures to be taken.

A picture of an out of season fish can cost you a $250 fine!!!

Walleye are in season.
Bass by this grid:
Black Bass
largemouth/smallmouth
3rd Sat in June through Nov 3012"5
Dec 1 - Fri preceding the 3rd Sat in JuneCatch and release onlyArtificial lures only
How are you reading this? I read the first line as black bass june through nov chart above and the second line as large and small mouth bass Dec 1st thru 3rd sat in June catch and release on artificial lures only.

We were not targeting any particular species as there are many in the mohawk river.

I only do catch and release anyway. I like fish prepared in a restaurant not out of dirty NYS rivers like the Mohawk or the GE PCB destroyed Hudson!

I take a pic so I can identify what the fish was that I caught later on.

But if I were to get on my high horse and try and deflate a good time . . . I'd say first ban all the ice fishing. Now there's a sport that really does not give the fish a sporting chance IMO.

My taking a picture of a fish sounds like typical NYS over regulation and the reason so many have already or can't wait to move out of NYS.

Oh ya, the black faces are not for hiding our identities from "in your opinion" illegally taking pictures of out of season fish . . . it is for protection from some of the crazies that can lurk out on public forums!

Last edited:

rolmops

Vice Admiral
Sorry if I did not make myself clear.
The DEC only last week publicized a statement saying that taking pictures of fish caught while they are out of season, can lead to being fined up to $250 whle using the picture as evidence. Then I saw your pictures with the face blacked out and I wondered whether this is just your general policy with pictures on the net or if you knew about this rule.

Expidia

Commander
Sorry if I did not make myself clear.
The DEC only last week publicized a statement saying that taking pictures of fish caught while they are out of season, can lead to being fined up to $250 whle using the picture as evidence. Then I saw your pictures with the face blacked out and I wondered whether this is just your general policy with pictures on the net or if you knew about this rule.

I appreciated that picture comment . . . even though it was worded like I was being scolded by someone who would rather be fishing but was sitting on his couch drinking a brewsky.

I did not know about the recent no pic rule. Just because NYS throws out their dumb rules does not mean most of us are going to abide by them.
Now that I know all my pics get cutoff at the neck.

I really do block out our faces on the net, license plates etc when posting. This site goes all over the world yet.
In 14 years no one has seen my face (as handsome as it is) on this site! Unless a few slipped through like on photobucket.

NYS sucks. All their stupid regulations. A few years ago the governor (as a sportsman, certainly not my governor) started bringing in revenue by saying the hudson was brackish waters and we need also a saltwater license to fish the hudson. Then a few years later they reversed it. Probably after the fisherman said stick it!

Rather than worry about a harmless catch and released pic how about they should focus their energies and bogus fines on our "dirty rivers".

If the rivers are so clean from their commercials and ads then why does the DEC have to post this on the dangers of eating fish out of the hudson river:

http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2011/04/getting-the-word-out-about-hudsons-pcb-fish/#.VVukMmCYk5Q