Is this ok for my rods?

DarrellK

Cadet
My rods (with spinning reels) IMG_2177 (1024x1024).jpg lay sideways in my new rod holders. Will my rods being sideways damage my rods upon a big fish strike? Trolling for Salmon? Look at the guides.

Thanks

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I'd think they would be fine. The rod don't care which way the eyes are.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I've built a few rods myself and if the eyes are installed properly, it won't matter one bit. The rod will not take a set or damage anything...

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Blanks and guides are designed to be loaded thru the center of the mass. Applying an unbalanced load (rotational force) on a rod blank or a set of guides is just asking for problems.

Rodnit

Recruit
I'd think they would be fine. The rod don't care which way the eyes are.

My thoughts exactly...... The blank doesn't come with instructions to "mount guides here". The rod doesn't care which way it bends........

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
My thoughts exactly...... The blank doesn't come with instructions to "mount guides here". The rod doesn't care which way it bends........

A lot of time and effort goes in guide design, selection and placement. Guide manufacturers publish charts giving suggested guide types and location on the blank by length. An experienced rod designer/ builder locates the guides by trial and error relative to the curvature of the blank.

If rods don't care which way they bend, why is so much attention given to the location of the blank's spline during guide placement? Why is a spinning rod built with the guides on the opposite side of the spline than a casting rod?

Last edited:

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Less attention has been given to the spline than in the past even on custom rods, and production rods are just put together in whatever way the parts happen to go together.

I'm not saying it doesn't make a difference, only that in this situation it will cause no damage to the rod. 99.9% of the rods used to fish in this exact location are not being bent inline with the guides or spline. This has to do with the exact type of rod holder used in the region and the method of fishing. In this type of fishing the spline is not of much importance.

The rod is normally side loaded, guides on top and the pull directly out behind the boat. The rod may be aimed straight out the back or to 90* out the side. After a several thousand people doing this for decades on end and no reported issues, I'm rather comfortable with it.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Less attention has been given to the spline than in the past even on custom rods, and production rods are just put together in whatever way the parts happen to go together.

It's all about money...if you could save 10 minutes a rod by not going to the effort to locate the spline(s) properly, its money in your pocket.

Why bother if your building a rack of "custom" rods for a show? People buying "customs" off a rack are not going to know the difference anyhow.

Production rods are well...production rods and let's leave it at that ;)

The rod is normally side loaded, guides on top and the pull directly out behind the boat. The rod may be aimed straight out the back or to 90* out the side. After a several thousand people doing this for decades on end and no reported issues, I'm rather comfortable with it.

After looking at some rod holders at Bass Pro, I can see the predicament. Looks like an opening for someone to design a rod holder for short handled spinning rods

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Normally spining rods aren't used for this purpose, but a conventional rod (guides up) is also held at a 90* angle to the pull of the trolled lure or bait.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Normally spining rods aren't used for this purpose, but a conventional rod (guides up) is also held at a 90* angle to the pull of the trolled lure or bait.

Now you really got me lost.... what does a spinner laying in it's side, unable to rotate the guides in the direction of the pull, have to do with a conventional used with guides in the proper orientation?

Put a spinner and a casting rod in a holder that allows the rod to rotate freely. Now pull on the end of the line. Both rods will rotate to a position where the guides are pointing directly at the load. If pulling straight down, the casting rod will rotate so that the guides are on the bottom of the rod. If you point the guides on a spinner up in the air, they too will rotate to the bottom of the rod. The lack of rotation is what makes an acid wrapped rod so attractive.

If you pull a spinner laying on it's side downward, the blank twists as the guides are trying to rotate into position. You'll get away with using a glass rod in freshwater.
Good way to damage or snap a graphite rod.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Just headed out the door to deckhand on an evening trip. I'll explain when I get back.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
As I said, several thousand people fishing this way for decades, no issues.

Look at the link, conventional rod is held upright (guides up), locked on place, it can't spin no matter what direction the load is coming from. The load in the pic shows the load going directly back, so it would be a side load, which is common.

http://www.folbe.com/fishing-rod-holders.html

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
As I said, several thousand people fishing this way for decades, no issues.

Using tackle upside down and backwards must be a northern thing.....lol

wlaker-fishing-large.jpg

Last edited:

rolmops

Vice Admiral
I don't know much about rod building,but I do know that if you use those little spinner rods trying to catch a salmon, it will not last very long..

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
I always find it interesting that people feel that if things are done the same way its done their part of the world it must be wrong.

I boat and fish from Alaska to Florida plus Mexico and Hawaii, I can tell you there are very different methods, techniques and equipment used in each location. The rod holders discussed are common, how the rod sits in the holder is normal, and while most would be using a conventional rod (bait caster) for this application it would most likely be in the same weight range. It would be no problem catching rather large salmon on that rod, it just isn't normal to use that rod in the great lakes region.

Last edited:

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
I always find it interesting that people feel that if things aren't done the same way its done their part of the world it must be wrong.

Had to make a change, I hate posting from my phone.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I don't know much about rod building,but I do know that if you use those little spinner rods trying to catch a salmon, it will not last very long..
How is that?

A blank doesn't know or care how big a fish is. As long as you don't exceed the capacity of the blank, your good to go.
In my circle, a #10-17 blank is the weapon of choice for jigging Stripers upwards of #50. We use #10 braid with good, high quality, 2XXX and 3XXX series spinning reels.

The number one reason rods come back to the shop for repair or replacement is an encounter with vehicle's door or hatch. Number two is stupid human tricks, i.e. being stepped on, left in an overhead rod holder going under low bridge, etc. "High sticking" and physical abuse (pulling on blank above the handle, jerking on a hung line, etc.) make up the bulk of the rest.

rolmops

Vice Admiral
I always find it interesting that people feel that if things are done the same way its done their part of the world it must be wrong.

I boat and fish from Alaska to Florida plus Mexico and Hawaii, I can tell you there are very different methods, techniques and equipment used in each location. The rod holders discussed are common, how the rod sits in the holder is normal, and while most would be using a conventional rod (bait caster) for this application it would most likely be in the same weight range. It would be no problem catching rather large salmon on that rod, it just isn't normal to use that rod in the great lakes region.

Ok,try a 30 pound salmon on a 20 or 30 pound test line on a spinning reel and see if the beast does not spool your spinner reel,or if you set the drag too tight break your line and or rod
I have had 300 foot runs.

Last edited: